Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Torsen T2R Issue

OK, back on the phone to Torsen.

If a solid axle assembly has a total available traction (limited by tire traction) of X+Y with X being the light or unloaded inside wheel and Y being the loaded outside wheel then the T2R can transfer 4 times X across to Y. This is because the T2R has a torq bias ratio of 4:1.

There's a catch.... If the light wheel is unloaded and off the ground then be definition it has zero traction and therefore 0 x 4 is still 0 and no torq will be transfered. This is because the diff is limited slip with a high bias ratio but not a true locking differential.

Trick is keep traction to both wheels and the key is in roll stiffness.

Forgot to add, it stands to reason that once the torq transferred to the outside wheel is greater than the traction of the tire then white smoke will appear.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Quote Originally Posted by Trublu View Post
    OK, back on the phone to Torsen.

If a solid axle assembly has a total available traction (limited by tire traction) of X+Y with X being the light or unloaded inside wheel and Y being the loaded outside wheel then the T2R can transfer 4 times X across to Y. This is because the T2R has a torq bias ratio of 4:1.

There's a catch.... If the light wheel is unloaded and off the ground then be definition it has zero traction and therefore 0 x 4 is still 0 and no torq will be transfered. This is because the diff is limited slip with a high bias ratio but not a true locking differential.

Trick is keep traction to both wheels and the key is in roll stiffness.
    Ok. Time to resurrect an old thread. When I got the Mustang back, they had replaced the trac-lock with a T2R. I hate it with the current setup. I get nothing but a spinning inside wheel in the air. This was painful at TWS exiting T4, through the carousel and exiting 14.

Michael, I need to look at your roll stiffness at ECR and figure out how you are keeping the rear tire on the ground.

Or, I need to put the trac-lock back as it seemed to work quite well. Easy enough to freshen every few years.
    Dave Balingit
    NASA RM Regional Dir

Senior Member Grass-Passer MikeP99Z's Avatar
    If the inside wheel is spinning, the torsen is done.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Dave,

I have had a really stiff set-up (1000/275) and a really soft set-up (whatever I have now). With either set-up my T2R does not do the one wheel peal. When I had the T-Lock it was a problem every two or three weekends. I'm looking forward to ECR with the T2R. With the T-Lock, even with brand new clutches my car would spin the inside wheel like a MoFo in turn seven. That is a climbing left hander after the long back straight. I'm guessing something is wrong with your T2R.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    I guess I like the KISS principle, but I've used a stock Track-Loc in my AI car and have to reshim every 5-6 weekends. Not too bad really for what a rebuild costs. Each "refresh" really is just adding shims. I built the car in 2003 and only did a fresh rebuild then. Every other teardown has just been to add shims. I did utilize the alternating stackup and NOT the OEM stackup.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeP99Z View Post
    If the inside wheel is spinning, the torsen is done.

I'll pull the cover when I get a chance. If it is toast, I will go back to the trac-lok. Never had an issue with it and only changed oil once (no reshim) in three years (or 20 days or so of race time).
    Dave Balingit
    NASA RM Regional Dir

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    Make sure you have the right T2R. They make two models, one being more aggressive than the other. Running a stiff vs soft setup will not make any difference on a good diff.

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Dave, it sounds like a T2, not T2R.
    I bought a T2 for mine back in 07 thinking it would work fine w/ the low HP. It ended up being a piece of crap and spun the inside tire everywhere. I ran it for 2 events and then replaced it with the T2R. The T2R has been great for over 5 years now.

On a side note, I still have the T2 in its original bag and box if anyone would like to buy it. It is a great piece and will do awesome in any race car!! ;^)
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Suck fumes View Post
    Make sure you have the right T2R. They make two models, one being more aggressive than the other. Running a stiff vs soft setup will not make any difference on a good diff.
    I agree with Aaron about the stiffness not making a difference. At least it has not for me in my two cars.

JJ