Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tire life?

Tire life?

Had a fresh set of unshaved tires for this past weekend's races.

Fronts are now fairly trashed; may get another couple of races out of them but certainly not another full weekend. Wear indicates that I may need to adjust front setup somewhat.

Next time I will rotate fronts to rear after the first day (didn't do that this time).

What kind of life are SN95 AI guys getting out of tires?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Don't run tires that are unshaved unless they are for rain. If the setup isn't eating tires for some reason and you rotate them I think you should get over 3 events out of a set.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    I wouldn't run anything thicker than 5/32. If you do you'll destroy the tread in a day maybe two at most. These cars are way to heavy to get away with running a fat tire.

Senior Member Grass-Passer edrock96GT's Avatar
    I got 3 seasons out of my first set of tires. My rear tires were recently replaced, but my fronts are the same ones I've had since 2008.

But, my car weighs about 2850 with me in it.
    Eddie Rock

#21 AI '96 GT

How many races do u run a year?

Senior Member Grass-Passer edrock96GT's Avatar
    Those were full seasons, never missing more than one event.
    Eddie Rock

#21 AI '96 GT

Full tread or shaved?

Senior Member Grass-Passer cobra132's Avatar
    It depends on the track, driving, setup and how you rotate and flip the tires. At 3200lbs I get about 6 hours at TWS with rotations. 8 to 10 hours at the other tracks.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    I shave my tires to either 4/32 or 5/32, but tires last about 1-1/2 weekends. Before the compound changed I used to get 3-4 weekends out of a set.

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    I have found that rotating wheels on the car during the event and flipping the tires between events will help me get a full event more out of my tires.
    I usually get them shaved to a "thick 4/32" or "thin 5/32" and can get 3 events out of a set.

Like mentioned, each track will tear the tires up differently. TWS does chew up quite a bit more than normal.
    I ran Houston and Cresson on this current set and 1 tire just turned bald and the other 3 still have a fair amount left. I think I'm going to run a new set at TWS and save this set for NOLA. We saw last year that NOLA chews up brand new tires but "thin-to-win" tires last. I remember James showed up w/ new tires and they were almost gone after the event where my tires were virtually bald and they still made it through the event.

On a side note, I personally can't tell a difference in speed from a brand new tire vs a 2 event old tire. I feel the tires will wear out before the heat cycle out.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region