Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rear axle seal leak - saved my life......

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Found another crack. PHB mount on the axle side was cracked. The vertical face towards the inside of the axle was 100% cracked. This is also another known problem for 3rd/4th gens. Put your eyes on these parts often. I've welded up a few over the years.
    Also - the weld didn't fail, the bracket did in the HAZ. Another example of these cars are being pushed harder than the material has the strength for.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennCMC70 View Post
    Another example of these cars are being pushed harder than the material has the strength for.
    What would be good wording for a rule change request allowing reinforcement of the mounting locations? What would be the fear of allowing this?
    -Wayne
    -CMC #85

Blog Entries
    I think it is allowed. I did this for Jeff Burch back in the day when he ran w/ us for this very reason.
    Check the rules...... or post this same request over on the National site.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Ok. Remind me how to check this again. I have never pulled out an axle on a solid axle. Only CV axles on the front diff of the wifes lexus. I have the caliper and bracket off right now so I figured I should check. Looks like I need to inspect the outside lip of the axle. Do I just take out the 4 bolts on the backside of the axles that maybe called the backing plate? Does that whole piece come off so I can inspect closer?
    I did a good nut/bolt on the car last night. Also swapped the rear swaybar endlinks. For some reason I had endlinks on the rear that were longer and had a taller spacer than the ones in the front-kind of wonder how that will impact things.
    For the record, 700/225 springs with 32 mm and 19 mm---anything wrong with that setup or suggestion to try the 21 mm rear bar?
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

I doubt that the 4 bolts on the backing plate will get you anywhere. You have to remove the diff cover, and then depending on your diff style (torsen, auburn etc) remove whatever's keeping the axles apart. On the auburn there's a sideways bolt with a 5/16 head, holding a round pin. The Torsen has large block-like thing seperating the axle shafts.
    One you have that out, push both axles inward, and remove the c-clip with a magnet. Then, they'll each slide out.

A Ford 9" axle can be removed like you were originally thinking.

I have a spare set of LS1 axles (free) if anyone wants them. They're stock. Just switched to hardened axles.
    Last edited by Dulaney; 06-14-2013 at 09:46 AM.
    Jim Dulaney
    AI 117

I'll reverse my earlier statement, and say that maybe you can see the crack with the backing plate off, if it's cracked near the flange.
    http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/index.p...=5876&hl=crack
    Jim Dulaney
    AI 117

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dulaney View Post
    I doubt that the 4 bolts on the backing plate will get you anywhere. You have to remove the diff cover, and then depending on your diff style (torsen, auburn etc) remove whatever's keeping the axles apart. On the auburn there's a sideways bolt with a 5/16 head, holding a round pin. The Torsen has large block-like thing seperating the axle shafts.
    One you have that out, push both axles inward, and remove the c-clip with a magnet. Then, they'll each slide out.

A Ford 9" axle can be removed like you were originally thinking.

I have a spare set of LS1 axles (free) if anyone wants them. They're stock. Just switched to hardened axles.
    Thanks Jim-I will take those axles as a spare if you don't mind. Also, that driveshaft loop I got from you doesn't fit (found out last night). It isn't wide enough for the bolt holes where it mounts-wonder if it is for a 3rd gen or another vehicle?

I'll inspect it closer tonight or at least on the outside. I looked last night but couldn't tell if there was a crack or just some surface rust where the hub meets the flange.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Man, sorry it didn't fit. Good thing it was only $5! Weird that Jegs sells it as a 4th gen part.
    Can it be modified easily by adding on extension arms?

Yeah, I'll bring those axles to Hallett, unless you find that you need them sooner. I'm robbing the ABS reluctors off of them.
    Jim Dulaney
    AI 117

Blog Entries
    You only need to remove the rotor to check for the crack.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennCMC70 View Post
    You only need to remove the rotor to check for the crack.
    And scrub the front and back of the axle flange with a brush to clean off anything that might be hiding a crack...

Richard P.