Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This weeks addition of name that issue- Transmission related

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar

This weeks addition of name that issue- Transmission related

If you watched my R4 video you can see that I couldn't get the car in fourth gear until alot of rowing around in the car.

Well.. Put the car on stands last night and was running through the gears. Occassionally if I didn't push the clutch in early before shifting, I would get a big clunk as I shifted from 3rd-4th. If was deliberated with the clutch and didn't shift to fast, it would shift fine.

This just seemed to be a 3-4 shift issue.

So... I assume this is pointing to a transmission issue. What is your thoughts on what could be wrong? Just syncro's, gears, or shift forks?

I'm no expert, but I'd suspect either a cracked shift fork, or failed fork pad. Could be a bent shift rail, too. Open it up, what's the worst that can happen?
    I'm dealing with this company about the possibility of changing around some 5th gear ratios, and they seem helpful. maybe give them a call.
    http://www.thegearbox.org/T56.html
    Jim Dulaney
    AI 117

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    I didn't have any trouble getting the thing apart, gears pressed on/off - but i finally gave up on getting the two case halves back together and sought help. Not that it's hard, it's just heavy, everything is sharp, and it wants to shift into gear as you lower the case.

Based on what I saw in mine, I would guess worn keys and slider teeth.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dulaney View Post
    I'm no expert, but I'd suspect either a cracked shift fork, or failed fork pad. Could be a bent shift rail, too. Open it up, what's the worst that can happen?
    I'm dealing with this company about the possibility of changing around some 5th gear ratios, and they seem helpful. maybe give them a call.
    Jim... I have purchased parts from them in the past when replaced ther reverse parts.

I don't think I am ready to tear down to fourth to fix it, I guess I will pull it and see about a rebuild of it.

This also means that it looks like I will need to miss NOLA.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dulaney View Post
    Please keep us informed on the 5th gear deal. I worked for 2 years to find/figure something out. Finally gave up. Would like a .85 or so 5th w/out changing the 1-4 ratios.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennCMC70 View Post
    Please keep us informed on the 5th gear deal. I worked for 2 years to find/figure something out. Finally gave up. Would like a .85 or so 5th w/out changing the 1-4 ratios.
    $600 parts for a .80 5th and .63 6th. To my knowledge, 1-4 are un-changed. Basically, it uses 03/04 Mustang Cobra mainshaft, 5/6 gears, and 5/6 countershafts. I'm trying to figure out why the GTO had .84 5th, and why I can't use those parts.

If I could find a GTO transmission for a decent price, I'd cram that in there. I'd like the more rearward shifter anyway.
    Last edited by Dulaney; 04-25-2013 at 04:25 PM.
    Jim Dulaney
    AI 117

Also, I'm looking for LS1 tranny parts, I don't know if those are affected by the input-shaft difference between the LS/LT

Found this online....
    t56.jpg
    Last edited by Dulaney; 04-25-2013 at 04:31 PM.
    Jim Dulaney
    AI 117

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    There are people that can convert the GTO trans for a camaro-there is a guy in texas that does them.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    There are people that can convert the GTO trans for a camaro-there is a guy in texas that does them.
    Is he in san antonio?
    Ah, fugg it.

Blog Entries
    Pretty sure he is. Talked to him on ls1tech.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24