Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gym weights - ballast

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries

Gym weights - ballast

Anyone know where I can find this stuff? Borrowing some from Mike for now, need to return to him at the end of NOLA, and I'll need more when I take my passenger seat back out...

Blog Entries
    Academy-generally any sporting goods store. Maybe a second hand sports store has some as well.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Yep, got mine at Academy, a little less than a buck per pound. I bought the smooth ones, and found they're nearly impossible to drill through, so I used a large bolt through the center hole (had planned on 4 smaller bolts).

Lowes carries grade 8, 3/4" diameter bolts. Highly recommended, along with giant fender washers. I later mail-ordered a nylock nut for them, but can't seem to find where I put them, so I'm using lockwashers and loc-tite.
    Jim Dulaney
    AI 117

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    Lead bricks are easier to work with. You'll spend a couple hrs and break several drill bits in a drill press trying to go through dumb bell weights. Don't ask me how I know haha.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Go secondhand on these - should be on the order of $0.50 to $0.60 per pound. No need for new, costs twice as much and it's not like they can wear out or anything. Drilling wasn't bad on the ones I picked up.... Play It Again Sports iirc.

If you make lead bricks be careful and stay away from the fumes - bad juju
    Ken Brewer; 1994 Toyota MR2 - #6 PTF
    SI wannabe - anyone got a spare money tree?
    "Zoom Zoom Zoom - On any given weekend more Mazdas make optimistic pass attempts than any other brand!"

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    Probably not healthy......but we made our own from lead weights from a tire store melted down into a valve cover.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    Clever!

Blog Entries
    Good idea James, I by chance happen to have a spare valve cover sitting around. I'm gonna stick with gym weights for now as one 50lb stack with a 3/4" bolt thru the middle should accomplish what I need. Four coats of plasti dip, the fire system, and the coolsuit box along with other stuff I need to finish throwing on the car (wipers, defoggers, oil cooler, etc) should take care of the rest, hopefully by Hallett...

Here is what the CCR says about ballast:

Unless superseded by class rules, all ballast shall be solid metal such as steel, lead, or uranium, and consist of
    a minimum of five (5) pounds per piece. Each piece should be bolted in place with through-bolts, fender
    washers, and a locking-nut / system (e.g. jam-nuts, Nylock, etc.). All bolts should be grade five (5). There
    should be at least one 3/8” diameter, or larger bolt for every ten (10) pounds of weight (e.g. 20 pound block
    uses two bolts). Nylock nuts or metal crimping lock nuts should not be reused.

I'm not sure if one 3/4" bolt equals five 3/8" bolts. Just an FYI in case they are strict for your annual.
    -Wayne
    -CMC #85

Do the CMC rules address ballast? If not, then yeah you're stuck with the CCRs super strict waayyy over the top rule. Break out your drill bits!
    Ken Brewer; 1994 Toyota MR2 - #6 PTF
    SI wannabe - anyone got a spare money tree?
    "Zoom Zoom Zoom - On any given weekend more Mazdas make optimistic pass attempts than any other brand!"