Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NOLA 2013 media

NOLA 2013 media

The mystery behind my blown engine is partly solved. Harry's lap timer lost my video, but I was able to use a program called iExplore to find it inside my iphone. Video is uploading now, should be ready in a couple hours.
    http://youtu.be/N09b22Wbim0
    In the video, you can see the oil pressure bouncing all over (gauge is on far left), and falling to near zero in the corners. Somehow, it was near normal everytime I glanced at it. The last time down the straight, it was near zero, and I should've seen it. Especially since I had noticed it seemed down on power. I have a low oil pressure light, but the sensor busted a while back, and I plugged it (I'm super-dumb).

I figure it's worth the embarassment if I can help someone else not repeat it. Buy and install a low oil light - they're cheap!
    http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Adjust...Kits,7805.html

No clue what caused the fluctuating oil pressure. The water temps never seemed to rise, which I find odd.
    Jim Dulaney
    AI 117

There was someone on track that's even more dumb than I. Many of us saw this genius not wearing his firesuit with the Porsche on fire in the paddock, but here is that same individual on-track without it. Some fire-crew!
    firesuit.jpg
    Jim Dulaney
    AI 117

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    When I saw you pulled over, I felt the need to pull over as well to keep you company! About to do a leakdown and cooling pressure test tonight to figure out why I overheat so much! My cooling system has been fine until TWS, but repeated mistakes (not ducting the radiator soon enough, not bleeding/filling properly multiple times) may have finally taken its toll. My money is on a warped head...
    Last edited by Pranav; 05-07-2013 at 03:13 PM.

Sounds like we missed quite a weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post
    When I saw you pulled over, I felt the need to pull over as well to keep you company! About to do a leakdown and cooling pressure test tonight to figure out why I overheat so much! My cooling system has been fine until TWS, but repeated mistakes (not ducting the radiator soon enough, not bleeding/filling properly multiple times) may have finally taken its toll. My money is on a warped head...
    LS or LT? I wish the LS had a bleeder screw like the LT. It's a PITA.

I believe the CMC rules allow a 1" extension to the airdam just below the radiator. Highly recommended, if you keep the bottom feeder setup (may be required, I don't know).
    Jim Dulaney
    AI 117

Senior Member Grass-Passer cobra132's Avatar
    That is a sick sound when a motor lets go. Sad to see Jim. Get that thang fixed for Hallett.

Trying my best to have it Hallet ready. I lack about an hour to have it out of the car.
    Gonna try HKE in Houston, who built Patterson's motor.
    Jim Dulaney
    AI 117

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cobra132 View Post
    That is a sick sound when a motor lets go. Sad to see Jim. Get that thang fixed for Hallett.
    Yeah I listened to it a few times-sounded like he was already off track and picking up lots of rocks in the marbles.

Sorry to hear you blew a motor. What is the parts rundown on what you are running now? Stock cam/tune? How much rpm do you turn? Your oil pressure was all over the map and not just in corners-was that a warning for a spun bearing? You running an accusump or racing baffle? Let me know what the failure was when you tear it down. Good idea to switch and try HKE. You could find a low mileage LS6 (corvetteforum) but then I still think you will spend the same amount on forged short block from HKE especially if you upgraded the LS6 with rod bolts, timing chain, oil pump, LS7 lifters. Also, what kind of oil have you been running in your LS?
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    My videos are pretty tame and the only thing you see in mine is the water temp slowly approaching (and passing) 250... Oil temps then go north of 300. The motor seemed a bit down on power when I pulled it in to find #4's exhaust valve hung open and the pushrod turned into an "S"... The motor will come out tonight and back to the builder for diagnosis.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

sucks to hear about the motor Jim. LS6 crate motor in Misty's car is going on 6 years old! Guess I should start looking for LS3's just in case!
    Ah, fugg it.