Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Four race format. Every day, every time.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Could I do 5 races in a weekend?

Wait. We have some teams in other race groups. Not sure of the relevance here.

The only way to effectively get some longer races in is to scrap either one race or the warm/up and qual. I've got a plan for TWS in Sept. I'll just do it. Boycott if you want to and not race. Or do it and let me know if it worked or not. If you really don't like it, I'll hang up my hat and retire.
    Last edited by nasa-rm; 06-10-2013 at 10:27 AM.
    Dave Balingit
    NASA RM Regional Dir

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Quote Originally Posted by AI#97 View Post
    LOL! TX has always done it differently than the other regions with 4 races instead of 2 races, yet you are telling us we should consider doing it like all the other regions do because the SCCA doesn't hasn't changed in 60 years. Sounds like TX is the innovator here?!

and for reference...the scca runs 2 races per weekend....
    Don't MAKE me go "other regions" on you guys. I'll start changing the direction of the race on the track 1/2 way through.
    Dave Balingit
    NASA RM Regional Dir

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    I'm up for surprises. GO FOR IT! Trying new things is a GOOD thing every once in a while.

Senior Member Grass-Passer edrock96GT's Avatar
    I think if we're looking to make cuts in order to try different things, practice and qual would be better areas to look at than our 4th race.
    Eddie Rock

#21 AI '96 GT

Get rid of warm ups but not qual.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllZWay View Post
    except make the last half of the race a HPDE session when the cars got all spread out.
    This happens to you during the last half? I'm usually by myself after the first few laps...

Senior Member Grass-Passer edrock96GT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Suck fumes View Post
    Get rid of warm ups but not qual.
    I'm not saying get rid of them, just maybe they would be better options for cutting in to. Since we go out green, qual could be 10 minutes. That still gives you time to knock out 3 or 4 (or 5?) good laps. We could look at combining practice with even more groups rather than shortening it, freeing up more time blocks in the process.

Just spitballing here but I think it would be better to cut into those rather than race time.
    Eddie Rock

#21 AI '96 GT

Qualifying is important. Practice I always skip anyway cause I don't think it's worth chancing messing up the car running with others that are not in your class or tearing up tires for nothing. Dump the practice. I'm usually asleep when it happens anyway haha

If all the groups switched to 3 races (one long one on Sunday), then we wouldn't leave the track any earlier than we do now.

Since most of us are budget racers, and many of our cars are 20 year-old crap, I prefer 4 (or more!) shorter races. That way I can break something, miss a race, but still get to run another one. As said, the first several laps are far more fun than the last few, with a few exceptions out there. YMMV.

If we really wanted to do something different, I'd be fine with a 3 lap shoot-out, then restack the field and go again. Yes, we'd lose 3 minutes restacking, but it's less than a warmup/cooldown period. This could be accomplished in a 30 minute window. I'm thinking the checkered flag waves, and the lead car travels the ~2 minutes around to the start/finish line and waits on a second standing start for ~1 minute while everyone else catches up.

My buddy runs the 40 minute Miata races, and he spends the last 30 minutes following the same car. For that punishment, he deserves to leave the track early!
    Jim Dulaney
    AI 117

Quote Originally Posted by Suck fumes View Post
    Qualifying is important. Practice I always skip anyway cause I don't think it's worth chancing messing up the car running with others that are not in your class or tearing up tires for nothing. Dump the practice. I'm usually asleep when it happens anyway haha
    Fully agree for SUNDAY. Not for Saturday. For those of us that don't run Friday practice, Saturday warmup is critical. If I were the only one in this boat, I'd let it go, but I don't think I am.
    Sunday's warmup is usually for everybody, so every racegroup would have to agree to ditch it.
    Jim Dulaney
    AI 117