Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Four race format. Every day, every time.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't think I have to say what I like but four races is really important for the teams. Otherwise I drive all the way to a place like Hallett or NOLA for one race. Not worth it in my book. Seldom does anything happen after 20-25 minutes. I really like four races. I will say again that we don't need 20 minute warm-ups or practice. I do like getting in the car for 10-15 minutes for a second on Sunday morning if I have not been in the car at all since Sat. morning. Like several others take warm-up minutes away and give it to the races but leave us a very short warm-up. Certainly I would think 15 minutes of qual is enough. I never qual well anyway and my second or third lap is usually the fastest then I lose contact with James, or Michael, or Dan and the harder I try the slower I get.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Dave I think you do a great job and would hate for you to throw in the towel too soon.

I like combo that we've done at Hallett the last couple of years... especially for Hallett. I don't know what the 'right' answer is for the Team guys, but we seem to get the Show Ponies spread out more from the MPS' with longer races. I would hate to get lapped by another CMC car again.

Maybe we need another drop or two in the points - that lets the folks that would rather take a chance in a longer race (in the sweltering heat where most won't even show up...) versus events with 4 races across the weekend.

Go ahead and bring plenty of choices and as long as there's a weekend I can make, I'll be there. On 16s. Slow.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Dave, why don't you do a "typical southeast" region weekend at TWS in September? Then everyone will get a chance to be on track with 50-60 cars in 4 to 5 classes and see what 40 minutes is like with the AI/GTS/ST leaders lapping the slower cars every 15 minutes. Let folks know what Traffic is really like. Then see where the groups stand.

I can bet the slower guys will be like "they ruined my race" and the faster guys will be like "they got in my way". I would bet you would have 3 times the number of current complaints about format, but the issue would be put to rest!

Either way, like Brewer said, until you have 100-150 HPDE cars showing up, there is no need to cut the race groups down so might as well just go with what already works. A lot less painful and a lot less whining.

I like the idea of 3 lap shoot out, re-grid and go again but no standing starts on hot sticky tires....clutches and drivelines don't like that. And for some reason I like the idea of an Australian Chase....but for charity, not points.
    Ah, fugg it.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    If you did a 3 lap shoot out there will be a lot more wrecks and contact cause everyone will be frantic.

Perhaps, but in reality, it's not that much different than a regular race. The finishing order seems to be set within the first few laps for 80% of the field. (at least until I finally break something and pull off)

Without doing a second standing start, it'll likely take an extra lap to get re-grouped. Or, would require an extremely slow pace-car.
    I do agree that it'd take an extra toll on the cars.
    Last edited by Dulaney; 06-10-2013 at 04:05 PM.
    Jim Dulaney
    AI 117

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by Suck fumes View Post
    If you did a 3 lap shoot out there will be a lot more wrecks and contact cause everyone will be frantic.
    I thought Frantic was the Thunder Group's middle name....or was that Drama?! lol!
    Ah, fugg it.

Senior Member Grass-Passer MikeP99Z's Avatar
    It think its "Group D for drama"

Senior Member Grass-Passer MikeP99Z's Avatar
    Eddie - you racing at Hallett?

Quote Originally Posted by edrock96GT View Post
    I think if we're looking to make cuts in order to try different things, practice and qual would be better areas to look at than our 4th race.

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    For Hallett we never have a qual on Sunday so therefore can put that time into the final race and keep the same amount of track time.
    I personally prefer more shorter races than long but feel it would be nice to know what the plan is prior to the weekend.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty View Post
    For Hallett we never have a qual on Sunday so therefore can put that time into the final race and keep the same amount of track time.
    I personally prefer more shorter races than long but feel it would be nice to know what the plan is prior to the weekend.
    As usual Michael is correct. No qual on Sunday at Hallett.

JJ