Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hallett post race info/media here please!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hallett post race info/media here please!

Man, someone post up some details please!

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    Jerry got a lot faster due to me and Jason's super setup!

Senior Member Grass-Passer MikeP99Z's Avatar
    The attrition was nuts. Feel free to add to the below:

AI
    Mark Adams - blown motor
    Jim Thomas - blown tranny
    Mike Snavely - blown brake lines?
    Mike Patterson - no issues
    Jim Dulaney - blown driveshaft in R4
    Marshall Mosty - overheating, fixed, blown tranny, fixed, overheating again
    Mike Stacy - blown power steering fitting, fixed, blown tranny
    Mark Smith - blown alternator
    Frank Robertson - no issues
    Richard Pedersen - no issues
    Casey Holdway - blown tranny
    Bill Tucker - no issues

CMC
    Sean Richardson
    David Francis
    Team Trickle - intermittent running
    Craig McCormick
    Team Wahoo
    James Proctor - overheating, blown something
    Michael Mosty
    Team Purple Flyer
    Dan Allford - blown motor
    Pranav Patel - overheating?
    Team Jordan
    Bryan Leinart - golden helmet x2
    Bryan Curtis
    John Martin - blown tranny or flywheel?
    Bob Denton
    Al Fernandez - overheating
    Corey Rueth
    Ben Northrup

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Suck fumes View Post
    Jerry got a lot faster due to me and Jason's super setup!
    Still a long way to go but who would think a guy would help you with set-up after you knocked the whole front of his car off! Or maybe he thought he better help! Thanks to Aaron and James. The 55 has never been this good. Still a lot to learn. It's way different. I spun three times in the first practice session and Jay did once but we figured it out. Hallett is the BOMB. Congratz to Michael Mosty for showing us all his rear.......or something like that.

JJ

I had to get towed off in Saturday practice due to burned crank sensor wires. Cut my rear brake hose in R2, but managed to finish the race on 20% brakes. It was scary. A smarter person would've pulled off, but I was kindof all by myself.

Got some video, but they're pretty boring.
    Jim Dulaney
    AI 117

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Friday
    Started the Friday practice session needing to shake the car down due to overheating/ blown head gasket at NOLA. Well, the head gasket wasn't the root cause. It was the radiator. Went into Cleveland (OK) Friday night and ended up walking away with a radiator from a 94 Bronco. Not a perfect match, but the "real" replacement radiator wasn't due to arrive until Saturday at noon (thanks DD for helping coordinate the order/ overnight shipment). The radiator cap was too tall on the Bronco radiator so I ended up doing what anyone would do to get on track.... I cut a hole in my hood to clearance the cap... Ghetto-fab! Also, the fancy ABS wasn't working, so I pulled 200lbs of ballast from the car for qual on Saturday. Ended up crawling out from under the cars right after midnight.

Saturday
    Took the car out and temps seemed to be under control. Front left caliper was really grabbing and was locking the LF tire during qual. Ended up bleeding the brakes and that was fine. Somehow lost 3 seconds from my last time at Hallett in 2011. Went from low 26's to the mid 29's... Blew the tranny exiting T6... no gears (forward or reverse). Hmmmm. Qual'd 6th.

Between qual and R1
    Thankfully Richard Pedersen had a spare tranny so as soon as we had the driver's meeting and grid was set, I dove under the car and replaced the tranny. I literally had enough time to wash my hands and head straight to grid for R1.. Loving Hallett already.

R1 had a great battle between me, Frank, and new "rookie" Richard Pedersen. All was well until Richard exited T6 a bit too hot and went four off to the right. I went left and "almost" got by before Richard (no longer driving, but acting as passenger) came back across frank and my LR wheel and rear bumper cover grated along the front nose of his car, causing me to spin off to the left. Car stalled/refined and kept going. A few laps later, my torque arm bushing failed and I pulled it in. Cooling issues "seemed" to be under control for the time being.

I spent the entire time between R1 and R2 trying to cobble together some bushing arrangement that would work on the now de-coupled torque arm. I finally found a control arm bushing at the race shop that services Mike Stacy's car. They hooked me up with a bolt, bushing and nut to put it back together. Ran out of time to catch R2, so watched it from the sidelines.. Saw Leinert pull his Golden Helmet act #2 for the weekend coming out of the bitch.

Got the car together for the charity race Sat night (benefiting tornado relief in central OK). All went well temp wise until the torque arm bushing bolt stack decided to fall out (guess it wasn't tightened enough). Pulled in and ended up bolting the torque arm to the frame mount. Who need bushings... Right? (Thanks to Kevin Mixon for the idea). So, I think I'm ready to run for Sunday.

Sunday
    Went out for practice and the car seems solid with no overheating issues. Stayed out the entire session. Went to impound to weigh and the starter went out. Push start and I'm going again.

Prior to R3 I forgot to ask folks for a push and found myself in my car in an empty garage with no starter. Gavin muscled the car thru the garage (not bad for 10 years old to push a 3000 lb car by himself). Rolled down the hill and got it started.

I have a really good scrap with Frank in R3. He has me on motor, and I have him on braking. See-saw battle. I actually finish the race.... I'm pumped!!

R4 had Jim, Frank, Richard, and I all stuffed together. I had a great 6-7 lap run with those guys. Went side-by-side with Richard thru T6 without issues. Everyone kept their cool and the racing was super close and exciting. Until I overheated again... Pulled in before the race was over with 250-degree water. Damn!!! Watched Michael win CMC, so that was a great "end" to my wonderful weekend at Hallett.

Post morteum
    Overheating
    Will most likely restrict the water flow in the radiator to ensure it has enough time to cool... I haven't run a thermostat in years, but haven't had enough time on this stroker motor to find out if it needs anything different. Guess this be does.

Tranny
    Going to upgrade to the Astro A-5 gear set. Hopefully that will fix the issue.
    Last edited by marshall_mosty; 06-24-2013 at 12:29 PM.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Well, there was a full moon this weekend. See pictures ...
    http://timingscoring.drivenasa.com/NASA_Texas_Region/
    Last edited by 39PitCrew; 06-24-2013 at 12:41 PM.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Showed up for Sunday only. Right out the box the motor refused to stay cool during practice. Tried limping it through the two races but just pulled off early. I've screwed something up during my headgasket replacement since NOLA, hopefully I can get home and to some tests to figure out what it is.

Motor also continues to produce blowby and dump oil out of both crank seals despite pulling a mean vacuum on the crankcase. My temptation to replace the block I should've rebuilt from the get-go is getting stronger...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    BL spent part of his weekend working on a feasibility study for putting in a drive through window in the Finish Line Café at Hallett. His thinking was it could be nice to drop in for a Burger and fries during a race. I think he showed it could work. What was it ten feet from the car to the café wall? I heard people were running for their lives. Then of course Corey moved the cones out of the way just to show them what it would look like. Now I have no idea what BL was doing trying to climb the tire wall after “The Bitch” unless he was looking for a short-cut to my race port. Had a great time this weekend and a third in the Summer Shootout, even without some of the big guns, is a win to Team Jordan. BL and I said before the race weekend that a top ten may be like a win for us. Of course this was before all the overheating issues people had. I’m really glad Bryan was not hurt and got to race most of the laps even though he had to work on the car a lot. We know how that goes as this is the first Hallett race weekend in five years were we finished every lap of every race. The fuel pump mount came loose in the tank and I thought we were finished on Friday but Richard Pederson, our resident NASA (not NASA racing but the real National Aeronautics and Space Administration) engineer told me to drill and rivet the mount to the tank and seal it with Quick Steel. Worked great and we will never have that issue again. THANKS Richard!

I do hope Corey will post about the differences in racing a CMC Mustang and a fourth Gen Camaro.

JJ
    Last edited by ShadowBolt; 06-24-2013 at 01:23 PM.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Orange was faster than it has been in a while. Still have a mysterious transmission issue when it gets hot but that only affected 1 race.

Race 1 was from a back pack start and went ok. I know it's hard to believe that *perhaps* there was very minor contact... ahem, I was "touched" by the 77 (again i might add) on a standing start. OE had a good run and wasn't giving up his line to anybody - good for him.

Race 2 and the tranny failure means i probably got to see everybody go by at least once. Good patience by the field on the split start. In the pits early but car is still running and the trans would be fine once it cooled off.

Race 3 lets you be up front when you DNF... but I didn't DNF soon enough and was 5th (i think) on grid. On the green Bob Denton takes off like a rabbit and I am able to hold Al off long enough for his car to overheat. That was the race I wanted to have at Hallett - probably the quickest laps ever driven there stayed composed throughout the race.

Race 4 The Big Show - earned enough points to start 5th. Good; on the inside and behind the 55 - I know they're going forward. Not a great start but we all get down into 2 pretty clean and I think it lined out in qual order 11, 34x, 50 (maybe I should go back to maroon), the 55 and the 16" 39. Was a pretty good chase 50-55-39 through most of the race but the demon in the borrowed F-body car, who at some point just doesn't car that you only left him 3/4ths of a car on the inside of the last corner, decided he had enough and used some grass to pass. (curse you Corey...) Started 5th and ended 6th... car ran strong, started every time and only had the one transmission issue.

Some of the pics/vid should be pretty good.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!