Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fourth Gen Camaro Front Hubs

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar

Fourth Gen Camaro Front Hubs

I need to replace at least one front hub on the CMC car...

Has anyone noticed better success rate with particular brands? Oreilly lists Precision and Master Pro. I found some listed as Timken.

I don't mind the price spread if the value is there.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    I've heard Timken is as good as it gets.

I bought a set of Timkens from Autozone and am getting play in them after 2-3 events. I pound my ARP studs out of them, pull the original studs back in, and go exchange them under warranty. Done this a couple of times already this year.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    I have to replace one too. I barely finished R4 it was shaking so badly and darting under braking.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rsmith350's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Wow, note to self.....buy multiple sets of hubs. Where's the RCR for this one? Anyone have a magic setup?
    " Racing makes crack addiction look like a mild craving for something salty"

Although it's quite expensive, the Corvette SKF race bearings that I, Patterson, and White and are using are working quite well. I could never get a yes or no from the CMC directors as to whether they are legal in CMC.

The SKF vette hubs require an adapter, which I designed to fit the f-body spindle.
    With the adapter, they are dimensionally equal to a factory hub, so there aren't any track width changes. They weigh 1.5# more than a Timken.
    Any factory brake, or aftermarket kit that works with the factory spindle/hub will bolt on without issue. Once the adapter and race hub are assembled, it acts just like a factory hub. Owner can swap between the two on a race weekend just the same as any replacement hub. The blainefab spindle ducts do not fit, but I have 5 sets of plates cut to fit my hubs.
    We have found the bearings to be very tight, and to have eliminated the pad knockback in the front. Mike and I have run them since NOLA, and they still feel as tight as they were when they were new.

I'm sorry that doesn't really help you at this point, but maybe you can throw Al some messages and get a ruling. I have 2 pairs of adapters in-stock, and I'm a Phadt dealer for acquiring the SKF hubs.
    Jim Dulaney
    AI 117

Quote Originally Posted by Dulaney View Post
    I have 2 pairs of adapters in-stock, and I'm a Phadt dealer for acquiring the SKF hubs.
    Jim's setup is the BOMB. We have 3 or 4 weekends on them now and they are as tight as when delivered. I also took a pretty hard wack on the right front wheel at hallett and there is ZERO play. I have also put a 10# residual pressure valve in the rear brake line and made sure the rear calipers float with ease. Nearly 98% of all our pad knockback is G-O-N-E! If actually feels as good as my mustang...maybe better.

Jim, can you email me a price for one of the sets? I am thinking about keeping a spare set in case one gets destroyed by an incident like what happened at hallett. Thankfully the rim ring is very thin and not built like some of the stock wheels CMC runs. The rim absorbed the force, not the suspension parts.

If you guys could get Jim's setup approved for CMC, you will have an "on the shelf" solution for the problem. some of the bearings we were getting crapped out on the drive from the TWS garages to hot pit!!! yeah, 300 yards. Some last a session, some last a weekend. They are terrible.
    Ah, fugg it.

Blog Entries
    The hub adapter you guys are talking about, there's a similar solution out there as well that may or may be cheaper; bunch of guys came up with an adapter plate design you can have made, then you would cut/press the snout out of a 3rd gen spindle and press it into the adapter. From there you would either turn down a 3rd gen rotor into a hub or buy one of those special 3rd gen "hubs" that flynbye makes and bolt the "hub" on to the snout.

Glenn made up a prototype of his own a while back; I am unsure if we ever did get a ruling on it. I personally am still working through a bunch of other issues on the car but hope to make a move on this stuff in early 2014 once we get some clarity.

Blog Entries
    Took a look at the corvette bearings. Looks like a solid setup; how much for those adapters Dulaney?

Also how are the "regular" C5 hub offerings (Timken, Delco, etc) holding up compared to the SKFs?

Senior Member Grass-Passer MikeP99Z's Avatar
    The RCR needs to be submitted to allow the Dulaney Special.

I would go through a minimum of 6 and a maximum of 8 front hubs in 6 events. So conservatively, that's 6 hubs at $165 (Timkens) for $990 plus shipping plus swapping out ARP studs. This was by far the worst waste of money ever on my car. Burning through hubs faster than race brake pads. I've had new Timken hubs last less than 1 lap before exploding, others with massive play after one session, etc. as Matt indicated.

The Dulaney Special seems to have resolved the issue. Same hubs since NOLA. Three full events, zero play, less time working on the car, more money in my pocket, more time drinking beer. Most of my pad knock-back is resolved also (I may have an issue with my RF caliper that is currently causing some knock-back, but not like it was before the hub switch). We installed these at the track in less than 30 minutes. No machining/pressing/turning down, etc.

I'm a fan, two thumbs up. Nice engineering job Mr. Dulaney!

Unrelated to CMC - I am still using my factory ABS with this setup (simple re-pin of the plastic connector).
    Last edited by MikeP99Z; 10-01-2013 at 04:38 PM.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dulaney View Post
    Although it's quite expensive, the Corvette SKF race bearings that I, Patterson, and White and are using are working quite well. I could never get a yes or no from the CMC directors as to whether they are legal in CMC.
    I saw those at TWS and they are nice.

<< pull pin >>

Maybe if they were compatible with Mustang brakes they would be allowed...

<< throw and duck for cover >>

Al/Glenn - is this worth an RCR for CMC? Any chance at all?
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!