Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fourth Gen Camaro Front Hubs

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rsmith350's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Who's gonna submit it? We need to do it pretty quick. I don't have a dog in this hunt yet but I would be more than happy to test
    " Racing makes crack addiction look like a mild craving for something salty"

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Sounds like a perfect RCR in my opinion. Anything that gives no performance advantage but reduces cost, labor, risk, etc is good in my eyes. As Mike points out, anything that increases beer drinking time is a major positive!!!
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If I can help with something on this I will be glad to make them at cost. I have not seen it so I don't even know if I can help.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    From what I can see, it basically puts the GM crowd on the same level as the Ford guys have enjoyed for years with the stock Ford SN95/99 bearing with racing grease repack... 2-3 seasons and replace. Get something official to Glenn and Al to get the ball rolling. Just don't advertise on the CMC site. Those guys bitch and complain more than we do.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

The kit sells for $1200. The skf race hubs are $380 each, so that's most of the cost. I get a dealer discount on them, and can offer a reduced cost for Texas guys. Contact me for more.

Jerry, the adapter is made from 4130 chromoly. If you can machine this, please PM me your contact info.

As Pranav said, there is a less expensive solution, using 3rd gen spindles and bearings. From what I hear, it's a PITA to do. I designed this adapter because I wanted to keep ABS (AI).
    I can't speak toward the durability of stock c5 hubs. I know Kevin Mixon went thru a lot, but he has Hoosiers and wider tires. If anyone wants the adapter only, to test these, I can oblige.

Ill post up some pics later, if anyone is interested, or PM me your email address, and I'll send direct.
    Last edited by Dulaney; 10-02-2013 at 08:15 AM.
    Jim Dulaney
    AI 117

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    I have seen these and they are super nice. Jim did an awesome job designing and building them.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Sent in.

---1) David Francis / Texas / CMC #39 / Orange@sbcglobal.XXX Mb. 713-294-6913
    ---2) 7.32.8 Braking systems shall conform to the following specifications:
    1. The one piece front or rear hub with rotor may be replaced with a separate hub and rotor or separate hub, rotor hat and rotor.
    2. Cars may use an adapter for the sole purpose of fitting identified front hub/spindle assemblies that allow for the installation of commercially available alternative hubs/spindles that retain OEM supsension geometries and provide no performance advantage.
    a) Corvette SKF Race Hub Part #XXXXXXX

7.1 Allowed Modifications
    Other than those items specifically allowed by the rules, no other part or component may be modified, removed, or disabled. If there are any "questionable" or "gray" area modifications, the competitor shall contact the CMC Board of Directors for clarification before competition. Replacement parts must be original equipment manufacturer (OEM) or others of equivalent OEM specifications. (i.e. – OEM replacement parts from any retailer are allowed provided they meet OEM specifications and do not offer a performance improvement over the OEM part they replace.) Limited production components and/or prototypes must be approved by a Director prior to competition to ensure their use and lack of availability to all competitors will not result in a competitive advantage.

---3) Room exists under 7.1, but highlighted language in 7.32.8 above.
    ---4) Reasoning for change MUST include at least 1 of the following:
    ---------->a) Current experience in AI already shows greatly increased hub life at higher loads

---------->b) Will increase driver safety because… current experience, though limited, shows longer time of integrity; avoiding front end parts failure is important to competitor and track worker safety.
    ---------->c) Will promote series growth because... potential cost reduction over time for long term competitors
    ---------->d) Will improve competition because… avoiding on track parts failures generally increases competition
    ---------->e) Will provide more clarity because... allows the part directly rather than as prototype/Director one-off approval
    Last edited by Fbody383; 10-02-2013 at 04:14 PM. Reason: maybe i beat the spam train...
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Some good info here: http://www.lgmotorsports.com/SKF-Racing-Hubs

I buy them here: http://store.pfadtracing.com/skf-wheel-bearing/
    P/N 1121016

For all you wussy race-car drivers, this gives you "additional balls"! (watch video on LG's page) That should put you up front for sure.
    Jim
    Jim Dulaney
    AI 117

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    While I agree with the cost savings over having to repeatedly buy new hubs, $1200 is a bit steep for the CMC crowd, but as it sits it is the only proven solution outside of someone stepping up and cranking out the 3rd gen style units. I'm wondering if the regular (Timken, Delco, etc) Corvette bearings are enough as they shave ~$400 off the price?

I myself am circumventing the issue by repeatedly abusing the Autozone/Timken warranty (hey if they can't make good hubs why should I suffer?), but something needs to be done while keeping it fair for the Ford guys that are able to get by with OEM equivalent hubs, because swapping hubs almost every other race weekend is insane.

Glenn, Al, let us know if this can be covered under rule 7.1 (OEM or OEM equivalent)? As it sits I think the last time Glenn brought this up, the other Ford-biased directors pushed back? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Here is what I was thinking of submitting if we can't get it passed under a 7.1 clarification, AND if we can just use regular OEM-equivalent corvette hubs (Timken, Delco, etc):

1) Pranav Patel / Texas / Car 51 / pranavyp@gmail.com 281 414 1482
    2) 7.32.8
    3) Insert bullet point #7:

Front one-piece wheel hub units may be substituted with rebuildable units provided they:
    a. Utilize the factory spindle/knuckle mounting method with no modification to the spindle/knuckle assembly
    b. Do not alter the vehicle track width
    c. Do not alter brake assembly position relative to the spindle as compared to an OEM wheel hub units
    d. Provide no weight savings benefit over existing OEM, and OEM-equivalent one-piece sealed hub assemblies available from retail sources
    e. Cost no more than $400 each to reproduce, including machine labor and material costs

4) Reasoning for change MUST include at least 1 of the following:
    ---------->a) Current experience in other classes already shows greatly increased hub life at higher loads

---------->b) Will increase driver safety because current experience, though limited, shows longer time of integrity; avoiding front end parts failure is important to competitor and track worker safety.
    ---------->c) Will promote series growth because... potential cost and labor reduction over time for long term competitors
    ---------->d) Will improve competition because... avoiding on track parts failures generally increases competition
    ---------->e) Will provide more clarity because... allows the part directly rather than as prototype/Director one-off approval

I started out stating that my solution was expensive....

The cost and labor to swap the old hubs was an annoyance, but what truly bothered me was the safety aspects of the crappy f-body hubs. Crappy hubs were the root-cause of the Patterson/Kagan contact at MSR-H. It was at that point that I began looking for an alternative.

I don't know if its the down-force difference or what, but in AI, we go thru hubs much quicker than CMC. I still can't believe how long James gets his to last.

I'd personally pay a lot more than $1200, if it kept me from hitting a fellow competitor. I encourage you to explore any option other than the factory-style hubs.
    Jim
    Jim Dulaney
    AI 117