Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fourth Gen Camaro Front Hubs

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Jim,

Not doubting that the cost of your setup is worth it, my concern is if we try to push a clarification or RCR, that cost level may not sit well with the others in CMC; as such I'm just wondering if taking that setup and ditching the expensive $380-440 SKF race bearing for a regular $130-150 OE-equivalent Corvette bearing would suffice for CMC's purposes. We may get a little more pad knockback and less life, but that puts us back into the range of what the Ford guys are getting.

How are the C5/C6 guys holding up with their regular front bearings?

Also as an alternative if more people try the DIY 3rd-gen based setup, that would be great also.

This was why I put that $400 limit under section E of my RCR, although I'm unsure how we can prove the 3rd gen setup's cost since it involves used parts.

Again, not trying to stir the pot, I am new to the class but would also like to get us away from using these crappy deathtrap bearings.
    Last edited by Pranav; 10-02-2013 at 02:50 PM.

Blog Entries
    Jim, my bad I went back and re-read some of your posts; guess the regular C5 bearings may or may be a crapshoot...

I've got more than my own fair share of car/driving problems to deal with this so I'll sit this out for now; I'll happily send in a duplicate RCR or request for clarification if most of us agree on what to send in. In the meantime I've got the entire Autozone Timken hub-swapping scheme down pat...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post
    Jim, my bad I went back and re-read some of your posts; guess the regular C5 bearings may or may be a crapshoot...
    To me it's just a choice when it is something that does not involve performance.

Big brakes are a choice and I believe are performance related. Same with 17" wheels for me.

The cost of hubs is just a cost - they don't roll any better, they don't leverage anything else on the car, they just *potentially* provide long term cost effective solution to a known issue.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Blog Entries
    Well, I haven't found anything on the web about massive C5 bearing failures, if I were to buy/make a pair of Dulaney's adapters I may roll the dice and try a pair of Corvette Timkens with the 3yr warranty.

The only issue I have right now is I have those nice blainefab ducts, looking to see if they can at least work with the 3rd gen setup...

Personally all this is filed away for "next year"; too many other issues to deal with but excited to see what we all end up doing...

Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post
    The only issue I have right now is I have those nice blainefab ducts, looking to see if they can at least work with the 3rd gen setup...
    I have some flat plates cut to fit my hub adapters. They're fitted for my wildwood rotors, so you might have to cut the OD down to fit whatever rotor you're using. And, you'd have to rivet a 3" hose coupler to them. I'm not saying it's easy, but I modified everything to work within about 1/2 hour. Stop by at ECR, and I'll take a wheel off, if anyone wants a peek. You really can't see much unless the rotor also comes off. If I think of it, I'll also bring an adapter for show-n-tell. I don't have any spare SKF bearings.
    Jim Dulaney
    AI 117

Blog Entries
    Post up some pics!

I'm a sucker for shiny new parts.

Photos here of the aluminum prototype. I was too busy getting ready for NOLA to take pictures of the install of the real parts. We did Mike's install in the dark, track-side.
    Bolts for attaching adapter to spindle have been replaced with ARP in the kit. The socket head cap screws for attaching the SKF hub to the adapter are hardened, and have yield strength equivalent to ARP's hardware, but have a smaller head.
    http://rrsusp.com/images/adapt1.JPG
    http://rrsusp.com/images/adapt2.JPG
    http://rrsusp.com/images/adapt3.JPG
    http://rrsusp.com/images/adapt4.JPG

Installation instructions here:
    http://www.rrsusp.com/docs/f-body_ve...stallation.pdf
    Jim Dulaney
    AI 117

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dulaney View Post
    The kit sells for $1200. The skf race hubs are $380 each, so that's most of the cost. I get a dealer discount on them, and can offer a reduced cost for Texas guys. Contact me for more.

Jerry, the adapter is made from 4130 chromoly. If you can machine this, please PM me your contact info.

As Pranav said, there is a less expensive solution, using 3rd gen spindles and bearings. From what I hear, it's a PITA to do. I designed this adapter because I wanted to keep ABS (AI).
    I can't speak toward the durability of stock c5 hubs. I know Kevin Mixon went thru a lot, but he has Hoosiers and wider tires. If anyone wants the adapter only, to test these, I can oblige.

Ill post up some pics later, if anyone is interested, or PM me your email address, and I'll send direct.
    Jim,

We don't turn any chips. We only work with flat metal. I can cut on the laser up to .500" thick in mild steel, .250" in stainless and .187 in aluminum. Send me what you need and I will see if I can help.

jjordan@picofab.com

JJ

Thanks, Jerry. This is a pretty complicated machined part. Much more complicated than I originally anticipated when I started the design. adapter.JPG
    Jim Dulaney
    AI 117

Found a couple pics, comparing Timken to the SKF adapter setup. hub_compare.jpghub_compare2.jpg
    Jim Dulaney
    AI 117