Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2014 NASA Nationals Annouced

Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty View Post
    First impression is this sounds weak...
    It's got a strange feel to it, but I think it makes a lot of sense for NASA to do this - and if they rotate yearly like they state in the announcement, it gives them a lot of flexibility to cater to the *active* demographic every year. If Central folks don't head to RA in droves next year (again, assuming you can pick one or even both) then NASA moves the East coast location up and maybe east. If Sonoma is not a big draw, then maybe Miller gets 2015. If COTA becomes viable then NASA can pick it and still have a location on hand for folks that don't want to see the beauty of central Texas.

It is my understanding that you can go to either East or West Championship weekend...or both if your checkbook allows! I'll verify and get back to you

UPDATE:

Just heard back from Will- you can do both or either!
    Last edited by Racebrat; 11-04-2013 at 01:55 PM. Reason: UPDATE
    Adrian Carpenter
    NASA Texas
    www.nasatx.com

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    Do you get double prizes if you win both?

Senior Member Grass-Passer edrock96GT's Avatar
    Maybe it's because I'm a football fan, but to me "National Champion" should consist of regional champions (or top 3, 4, 5, etc. for "wildcards") competing against each other for the title of national champion. The event could be open to anyone willing to pay the fee and make the haul, but the only ones competing for the national prize are the ones selected from their respective regions to compete. That should also discourage "X" Continental Tire team from making the required 5 races and showing up to take all the prize money that really isn't even a drop in the bucket compared to what they spent to make the event (I'm not saying that they all do, but it would force a season long commitment to be able to qualify).
    I know that the current intent is to accommodate racers that have attended enough events to qualify and at the same time not alienate those that finish well regionally but can't schedule nationals and all that but let's be real about what nationals has become. It's a venue for those with the least distance to travel or the most money to spend to come compete for prizes that we don't get regionally and "national champion" is nothing more than "guy who planned and budgeted to go to nationals this year and did better than the other guys that did the same".
    If we want to promote the series a little better, NASA should provide incentive for regional champs to attend that might make the scheduling of the event worth while. Something other than taking a week off of work and spending $999 plus travel expenses to come watch a pro team snatch all the prize money.
    Eddie Rock

#21 AI '96 GT

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Quote Originally Posted by Suck fumes View Post
    Do you get double prizes if you win both?
    Some sponsors may offer a double up bonus.

Worst case: think of this as an optional race weekend to get your fix, at a track you might not get to very often, within a days drive, where the competition level might be amped up a tad and at the end of the weekend you've met and raced against some new folks. For an amateur sporting association, this dual location thing makes the affinity for racing and the aspiration of being a "winner" far more inviting that promoting a championship that is out of reach (skill, $, time, etc.) for 90% of its demographic. Who knows, maybe this will be less of an incentive for the pro teams from attending and open up a whole new era of growth for the amateurs. I applaud NASA for taking this step - hope I can take advantage of it next year. 'nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFirePony View Post
    It's got a strange feel ea00it, but I think it makes a lot of sense for NASA to do this - and if they rotate yearly like they state in the announcement, it gives them a lot of flexibility to cater to the *active* demographic every year. If Central folks don't head to RA in droves next year (again, assuming you can pick one or even both) then NASA moves the East coast location up and maybe east. If Sonoma is not a big draw, then maybe Miller gets 2015. If COTA becomes viable then NASA can pick it and still have a location on hand for folks that don't want to see the beauty of central Texas.
    Bingo.

This makes COTA, NOLA, Barber, etc eligible for 2015. I would think Texans will be pretty jazzed about a 1/2 day tow to nationals.

I will most likely race both next year and go for double championships on each coast. And then race in our version of IROC.
    Dave Balingit
    NASA RM Regional Dir

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I know Dave will be shocked but I really like this idea. I thought RA was a lot closer. If I looked correctly just 4.5 hours less then Mid Ohio.

JJ

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    I know Dave will be shocked but I really like this idea. I thought RA was a lot closer. If I looked correctly just 4.5 hours less then Mid Ohio.

JJ
    No surprise. LOL.

I love the idea that it moves every year. This is what Ive been advocating for since the 3rd year at Midohio. Every region with a track capable of holding the champs will get a chance to host and sleep in their own beds.
    Dave Balingit
    NASA RM Regional Dir

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    COTA is getting greedy so it may be hard to land that place. SCCA was going to run another event there in march then COTA decided to raise their weekend rental fee from $120k to $300k due to how many people showed last year. Kinda messed up.