Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RR's for 2014......

Hybrid View

We have a set of 2 - 255/50R16 RA-1's shaved to 5/32nds that we will let go for a very good price...let us know soon!!

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    I'm sure Toyo has a big say in this. You have to remember NASA is a business and Toyo throws a lot of money at it and if they want to push a newer tire for advertisement to the public then everyone has to run it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Forgive my ignorance since I haven't researched this much, but do the RRs actually provide more mechanical grip? I thought the 100 treadwear rating on the RA1s were totally bogus, with the RR's 40 rating being closer to reality?

As far as the loss of 16" size debacle, no plans to produce the RR in 16s? Did anyone up there think to ask? At this point are we the only NASA class still running big 16s?

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    They are about a second faster than the ra1. Almost equal to the Hoosier R compound.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I always thought the treadwear rating use thread depth as a factor to assign its number.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    So....is RR mantory? I bet if there not, some of us would be instreaded in buying slightly used RA1's and running them for a while. Heck I am in the back anyway :-)

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm Trooper View Post
    So....is RR mantory? I bet if there not, some of us would be instreaded in buying slightly used RA1's and running them for a while. Heck I am in the back anyway
    Wait a minute, the last race I was at, you won. Or was that a Jedi trick?
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm Trooper View Post
    So....is RR mantory? I bet if there not, some of us would be instreaded in buying slightly used RA1's and running them for a while. Heck I am in the back anyway :-)
    They are not manditory.

Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post
    Forgive my ignorance since I haven't researched this much, but do the RRs actually provide more mechanical grip? I thought the 100 treadwear rating on the RA1s were totally bogus, with the RR's 40 rating being closer to reality?

As far as the loss of 16" size debacle, no plans to produce the RR in 16s? Did anyone up there think to ask? At this point are we the only NASA class still running big 16s?
    Comparing treadwear on commercial tires between manufacturers is not terribly useful for performance applications since the testing done does not at all resemble what you do with the tires on the racetrack. Treadwear is used by manufacturers to position their product line more for marketing than any objective measure. The intent was to be a more reliable measurement for consumers but once manufacturers were given the control over testing it's become less than useful. Consumers are mislead on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post

the 255/50R16 will NOT be made. The 225/50R16 and the 245/45R16 will be made, but they are the last of all the new RR's to be available. We don't have a time frame, but I would guess mid to late 2014. Just a guess remember.