Thread: Houston area exhaust shop

Senior Member Grass-Passer Alien's Avatar

Houston area exhaust shop

Anybody have a recommendation for a good muffler shop that will work on a racecar with no cats? Not looking for high end, top of the line muffler with mandrel bends type of work, just someone who listens and will do what I want. I don't mind paying good money for good work.

First build, I dragged it around to a few places that refused since it didn't have cats. Ended up at a "race" shop who cost a lot to do a crappy job. Took it to two other places (in Bryan) to get it patched up better. Then the LT1 went in a few years ago and had to get it all redone. Found a cheap place that did cheap work. The 'Y' is a joke, cracked once already due to insufficent hangers/binding (and fixed at Hallett), and the worst of it is it's such a PITA to R&R since it's all one welded piece.

TIA
    - Gary R.
    '86 Camaro Z28 "KNOCKER"

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Ripley's Muffler did my mandrel/stainless catback setup but they're equipped to handle nearly everything afaik. I was happy with the price and alllmost all the work (one weld they could've cleaned up after themselves a little bit better). They were great to work with, understood "race car" and race car usage / durability needs, and didn't give me much if any guff about the car besides needing a V8 - perfect for y'alls cars hahaha!

2302 W FM1960
    Houston, TX 77068

281-444-3885

On the north side of town a small handfull of miles off I-45, south of Woodlands type area.
    Ken Brewer; 1994 Toyota MR2 - #6 PTF
    SI wannabe - anyone got a spare money tree?
    "Zoom Zoom Zoom - On any given weekend more Mazdas make optimistic pass attempts than any other brand!"

Senior Member Grass-Passer rleng1's Avatar
    Ridleys is good but pricey. Try Tomball Brake and Muffler on FM2920, just east of hwy 249 on the north side of the street.
    They will work on it w/o cats if it comes on a trailer and no inspection sticker on the windshield. Charged me $100 for my work, whereby Ripleys wanted $300.
    Randy English
    NASA Texas --> Rocky Mtn Region
    CMC #77 Camaro

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Cant say enough good things about Ripleys. My Y pipe was done by some joker in Bryan, finished it off at TWS; ripleys cut it out and did a new piece for ~$100. Been going there since for random welding stuff; as long as you explain what you want, they will deliver it. I actually did a crush bend on my pipe and it came out great.

Did Norm's Subaru straight back in 2008, great mandrel bends tool

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    Tomball Muffler did some work on my old race car. It was inexpensive and never had any problems with it. The only warning is that their lift/ramp can be hard on low slung airdams. Let me know if you come up this way, I'll try to come visit.
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    good, fast, cheap - pick two in most cases with anything in life. Machine shops and Muffler shops it seems like you can really only pick one or one and a half, heh!
    Ken Brewer; 1994 Toyota MR2 - #6 PTF
    SI wannabe - anyone got a spare money tree?
    "Zoom Zoom Zoom - On any given weekend more Mazdas make optimistic pass attempts than any other brand!"

Senior Member Grass-Passer Alien's Avatar
    Thanks fellers, and I completely agree Ken.

Looks like I'm headin up north this Saturday. I'll give you a call, Rob.
    - Gary R.
    '86 Camaro Z28 "KNOCKER"

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Come by and say hi, I'm one traffic light down the street