Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Trailer Talk

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    If you are going to look for a tow vehicle, buy the most that you can. We bought Misty's 04.5 Ram 3500 a few months back from a private owner in Fredericksburg. had 123,000 miles and is in great shape. managed 13.5 mpg towing her 28' trailer this weekend and had ZERO worries about hills, winds or anything. My 08 Ram 2500 struggles due to the larger than stock tires and 3.42's but would still hook onto anything and yank it to hell and back. Also gets 20+ on the hwy unloaded.

Also, if anyone is looking for a load leveling setup, I have a used one we don't need anymore that I'd sell for $100. has frame clamps, bars, chains, adjustable hitch and 2-5/8" ball along with tube for setting the chain tension.
    Ah, fugg it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm Trooper View Post
    I am using my gmc 1500 5.7 250000k to pull Al'S old inclosed trailer. It works real good. I believe it is a 24'. plus I have a place to stay at the track! If you add hotel costs in its well worth it. (In my opinion)
    I share the same thought on using it instead of spending money on a hotel. Though I differ on using a half ton but I have never tried. I do know that my 04 2500 Sub is night/day better than my 99 2500 Sub in handling the 24 and 28 trailers I have towed with. The brakes just don't compare. I love the diesel towing as well but that comes with some added expense but in my case the cost of the truck was the same as a gasser.
    Ross-I would look for a 8.1 instead of a 6.0 in a 2500 chevy/gmc. The 8.1 gets the allison trans and has a ton more torque than the 6.0. The 6.0 is an unbelievably good motor but you have to spin it pretty hard. Also-just because the car is built doesn't mean the money being spent really slows down any.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Grass-Passer MikeP99Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    Also-just because the car is built doesn't mean the money being spent really slows down any.
    Shhh, we don't discuss such things on public forums...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rsmith350's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeP99Z View Post
    Shhh, we don't discuss such things on public forums...
    Lol Thanks Bryan, this has been part of the plan for awhile. I'm with you on the 8.1 but it has to be my daily driver as well. Probably going to do an 18 foot open for this year and save up for an enclosed next year
    " Racing makes crack addiction look like a mild craving for something salty"

I towed my 24' with the escalade and it did fine with the 6.2L and the 6spd trans. Had to watch trans temps though. Biggest issue was brakes but the 22" wheels didn't help much. upgraded to EBC green stuff pads all around and it finally stopped better, but was still a mess waiting to happen and that is why I traded it for the 2500 diesel. We also towed the 24' with Misty's old 2010 Ram 1500. it did great but had to have the load distributing hitch. IT was also a fantastic daily driver.

Again, when it comes to a tow vehicle, don't scrimp. It's the one thing you MUST rely on to get you there and back regardless of what happens with the race car or trailer.
    Ah, fugg it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fbody383 View Post
    Man... long distance love. And I was gonna PM you about missing having you around this weekend.

In a moment of weakness and self-disclosure- I was unloading it a couple weeks back and my brother had helped me line up the truck and put the trailer on... he didn't latch the tongue. I get the car just at the rear axle and the trailer tongue is at the top of the tailgate. I stop the car, he chocks the trailer, moves the truck and I slowly back it off. No damage done... but I did have a flashback.

And we do miss having you around, brother.
    I did that...once....the trailer tongue came flying up and left a nice ding in the top of KC's tailgate....I was never allowed to help load after that....now we just pull 40' worth of trailer around.....
    Adrian Carpenter
    NASA Texas
    www.nasatx.com

Junior Member Rookie
    I'm pulling a 24' Wells Cargo enclosed with the load distributing hitch with our '12 Nissan Armada with leveling rear shocks. It's stable and smooth past 80MPH and gets about 8MPG. That sucks, but it's only marginally better without the trailer, so I have no complaints. I also have an electronic brake controller that senses deceleration and incline and varies the trailer braking accordingly. It's a very easy drive when towing.
    Brian Cook
    AI #80 1970 Mustang
    Round Rock, TX
    “Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you.” ― Jeremy Clarkson

Senior Member Grass-Passer MikeP99Z's Avatar
    Mixon failed to clip the latch on mine one time after he hooked it to my truck...tailgate dent and a car half stuck on the trailer (Thanks Corey for the help circa 2005)...

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    glad to hear I'm not the only dummy that's pulled this one

(mine was my fault, but I blame it on getting too hot / tired / unfocused at the time)
    Ken Brewer; 1994 Toyota MR2 - #6 PTF
    SI wannabe - anyone got a spare money tree?
    "Zoom Zoom Zoom - On any given weekend more Mazdas make optimistic pass attempts than any other brand!"