Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CMC BB posting - Nationals teardown

Senior Member Grass-Passer oz98cobra's Avatar
    Glenn, my point is that CMC racers as a whole should not want to let ANY sort of engine tear down. head removal, or what ever you want ot call it creep into the series - PERIOD! EVER! - either at the nationals or the regional races! This type of rule is NOT the solution to the perceived problem of drivers of certain model/engine combos possibly having to bend the rules to get in the ball park of the class power to weight ratio that other model/engine combos seemingly have no trouble doing?

I don't even currently have a complete CMC car, so it's got nothing to do with me being worried about whether there is anything on my car that may prompt a head being removed - it has everything to do with the fact that as a CMC racer, I never want to have to face the prospect of pulling any part of my engine apart after a race meeting, and I personally beleive that it is contrary to the spirit of the class.

To think that if a rule like this is introduced that no one has anything to worry about if they are legal is just plain naive - if a rule exists, it is only a matter of time before someone uses or abuses it!

DC

Quote Originally Posted by GlennCMC70
    Daron, is it your opinion that there will be a hat w/ names drawn from it that will determin who gets a head pulled?
    will it be the top 5?
    will it be those who run faster lap times than the directors?
    or will it be those who's inspections raise more questions than they answer? i think if anyone is asked to remove a head (which is what the problem is here), they will more than likely already have a pending DQ looming over their head. this will just be a last chance effort to make sure they are making the right call.
    i do not think they will pull a head in an effort to find something to DQ anyone over.
    what is it on your car / a car that your worried will lead to a head removal?
    i'm gonna assume that my view is correct on this - that no heads will be removed unless there are things found that leads them to do so. not just a random thing.
    Tony????

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffburch
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty
    From what I have read on the subject aside from the fact that they have changed the rules, and that they did this less than 1-month from the event, my question is where is the specific rule regarding the teardown.

Sure Tony has mentioned it, Ryan has mentioned it, and it is published as being part of Nationals but all the "rule" is is speculation of what "might" happen.
    My main concern with this "teardown" rule is that none of the competitors know exactly what it means. Do you file a protest and put up $$ for the teardown? Do you just accuse someone? Who pays for it? What if the driver of the car isn't mechanically inclined to do so and feel comfortable about his work?
    What if a giant mess happens and the shit that happened at Hallett happens again?

This brings up back to the "C's":
    Consistency - Not even close
    Communication - The post was locked on the CMC board
    Compromise - We'll see how it turns out :?
    it's here http://nasachampionships.com/

"view event regulations"

http://www.nasaproracing.com/nc/supps.pdf

jb
    All I see is on page 4, at the very bottom:
    "ALL classes will be subject to technical inspection for both safety and compliance items, regardless of their class rules. Some disassembly may be required."

This can't be the complete description. :shock:
    That sounds like what was put on the feakin box my "Big-Wheel" I got when I was 5. "Some assembly required"
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    From the CMC site ...

Quote Originally Posted by JWL-NASA
    Gentlemen-

I'm truly sorry that this issue has caused so much stress and strain. I can assure you that the technical inspections at the National Championships will be conducted in the same rational and reasonable manner that we’ve done inspections in every other class in NASA for years and years. We’re not going to publish an absolute set of guidelines that will subject a car to scrutiny as this would effectively undermine the entire process as folks would know how to fly under the radar and those with less than pure motives would certainly exploit this strategy. We will enforce the rules to the best of our ability and we will turn to the CMC leadership as we conduct the inspections to ensure that they are done in the best possible manner. We will also do our best to minimize the pain of the inspection, but you should be prepared to pull a valve cover, header, manifold, or head, or other part if we request that you do so. Our goal is not to find cheaters and “bust” them, but rather to prove to all interested parties that the competitors in the event are running legally and honestly.

So, the sky is not falling and the camel’s nose and ass are both still well outside the tent. As Tony said, show up with a legal car and you have nothing to worry about aside from putting on your best drive to win a championship that can be defended as legitimate because proper scrutiny was applied to ensure your car was indeed legal and your championship genuine.

Thanks and feel free to e-mail me as well offline for further discussion.

-JWL
    So maybe a race strategy would be to pony up the protest forms for teh top 3 or 4 CMC racers, requesting that they be proven legal.

Do so about 2 hours before the main event.

Sure, it would cost sevral hundred bucks. But like Matt said, got to go at this at 110%

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchntx

Sure, it would cost sevral hundred bucks. But like Matt said, got to go at this at 110%
    Don't get me mixed up in that BS!!! I am just here to recruit for AI!!! Need more whipping boys in our group! :wink:

Senior Member Grass-Passer oz98cobra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JWL-NASA
    ... We will also do our best to minimize the pain of the inspection, but you should be prepared to pull a valve cover, header, manifold, or head, or other part if we request that you do so. Our goal is not to find cheaters and “bust” them, but rather to prove to all interested parties that the competitors in the event are running legally and honestly.

.....As Tony said, show up with a legal car and you have nothing to worry about aside from putting on your best drive ....
    ... and possibly spending tme pulling your car apart in a series that has had from the beginning, and still does have a no tear down rule in the class rules! The camels ass is DEFINATELY inside the tent!

Unless they fix the rules so the perception of engine cheating becomes a non-issue and the no tear down rule is set back in concrete, CMC just lost at least one competitor next year! Matt, make room on that AI grid for me! :twisted:
    Daron
    AI75 DownUnder Racing