Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CMC BB posting - Nationals teardown

Senior Member Grass-Passer oz98cobra's Avatar
    Chris is spot on here - this whole thing is crap! Either there is a no tear down rule or there isn't, you cannot have one rule for the regional series all year and another for the nationals abitrarily added in a the 11th hour!

Has anyone stopped to consider the impact of a rule allowing cylinder head removal might affect mod motor guys? And even for pushrod drivers, are all CMC racers, many of whom are newbies to racing, capable of tearing down their engine, let alone put it back together?

I cannot beleive that I am seeing some CMC racers posting up that they do not have a problem with having to remove a cylinder head or that it won't lead to anything else? Get a clue here people - the rules that apply at the nats will almost certainly be adopted for next year - and the prospect of having to wrench on your engine at the end of a weekend when you should be busy loading up the trailer and driving hours to get home should be a VERY daunting one to a group who habiltually prefer to finish racing early Sunday so they can leave early!

Allowing engine tear downs, even partial like a cylinder head, goes COMPLETELY against the grain of the spirit of CMC - which is to provide cheap fun entry level grass roots racing. For the vast majority of CMC competitors, it is either the only affordable way they can go racing, or they simply enjoy the buzz and camaraderie of racing W2W with their buds. I for one am not going to race in any class where I am likely to have to spend hours at the end of a weekend pulling apart my engine for rules compliance reasons - and I'm sure that if I feel that way, many other do to, so a rule like this is likely to kill the very series that has arguably become the foundation and nursery of NASA in our region if not nationally!

I have CMC #33 reserved for next year, but if a tear down or partial tear down comes into play, then that will change real quick to AI33, even if it means I'll be running around at the back of the field because I cannot afford to be competitive!

This is not about cheating either - it's about having rules that befit the class of racing. It does seem that there is an issue with the CMC rules, but a teardown or partial teardown rule is NOT the answer - change what is allowed so people don't need to cheat to meet the power to weight rules - not a hard concept to grasp really is it?

This is YOUR racing series - you own the cars, you do the racing, and you pay your entry fees! It is NOT a dictatorship, even though recent actions like locking threads might indicate otherwise? Stand up and be heard before NASA goes the way of the SCCA - if I'm not mistaken, it was situations very similar to this that lead to NASA being formed in the first place! I hope history is not repeating itself?
    Daron
    AI75 DownUnder Racing

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Daron, is it your opinion that there will be a hat w/ names drawn from it that will determin who gets a head pulled?
    will it be the top 5?
    will it be those who run faster lap times than the directors?
    or will it be those who's inspections raise more questions than they answer? i think if anyone is asked to remove a head (which is what the problem is here), they will more than likely already have a pending DQ looming over their head. this will just be a last chance effort to make sure they are making the right call.
    i do not think they will pull a head in an effort to find something to DQ anyone over.
    what is it on your car / a car that your worried will lead to a head removal?
    i'm gonna assume that my view is correct on this - that no heads will be removed unless there are things found that leads them to do so. not just a random thing.
    Tony????

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    From what I have read on the subject aside from the fact that they have changed the rules, and that they did this less than 1-month from the event, my question is where is the specific rule regarding the teardown.

Sure Tony has mentioned it, Ryan has mentioned it, and it is published as being part of Nationals but all the "rule" is is speculation of what "might" happen.
    My main concern with this "teardown" rule is that none of the competitors know exactly what it means. Do you file a protest and put up $$ for the teardown? Do you just accuse someone? Who pays for it? What if the driver of the car isn't mechanically inclined to do so and feel comfortable about his work?
    What if a giant mess happens and the shit that happened at Hallett happens again?

This brings up back to the "C's":
    Consistency - Not even close
    Communication - The post was locked on the CMC board
    Compromise - We'll see how it turns out :?
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    "ya'll should all come on on over to AI....."

figured I would beat someone to it..... :lol:

Exactly the reason I never even considered CMC. Too many stupid rules and too many stupid... :?:

The whole purpose for a weekend at the track is to race. Tearing down a motor in 100 degree heat, forget that nonsense.

Sounds like drag racing! And everybody knows, drag racing is a drag.

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AI#97
    "ya'll should all come on on over to AI....."

figured I would beat someone to it..... :lol:
    Hahaha, damn AI is gonna be big next year w/ Glenn, Chip, and everyone else. :lol: :lol:
    "I was tellin………"
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Carroll Shelby jeffburch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty
    From what I have read on the subject aside from the fact that they have changed the rules, and that they did this less than 1-month from the event, my question is where is the specific rule regarding the teardown.

Sure Tony has mentioned it, Ryan has mentioned it, and it is published as being part of Nationals but all the "rule" is is speculation of what "might" happen.
    My main concern with this "teardown" rule is that none of the competitors know exactly what it means. Do you file a protest and put up $$ for the teardown? Do you just accuse someone? Who pays for it? What if the driver of the car isn't mechanically inclined to do so and feel comfortable about his work?
    What if a giant mess happens and the shit that happened at Hallett happens again?

This brings up back to the "C's":
    Consistency - Not even close
    Communication - The post was locked on the CMC board
    Compromise - We'll see how it turns out :?
    it's here http://nasachampionships.com/

"view event regulations"

http://www.nasaproracing.com/nc/supps.pdf

jb

Senior Member Carroll Shelby jeffburch's Avatar
    If this b.s. doesn't effect you (AI/X) you may be excused for the remainder of the school year. Run along, thank you. Kidding, come back tomorrow.

DC, I'm thinking that most don't appear upset because in a way, it doesn't really effect them. I'm thinking like GL and that unless your pulling everybody like their tied to the cornerworker stand, no red flag/teardown. Then, plus, if it does happen tell them NO.
    Simple as that.

jb

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty

Hahaha, damn AI is gonna be big next year w/ Glenn, Chip, and everyone else. :lol: :lol:
    "I was tellin………"
    Well shit!!! I must be doing my job!!! Before you know it AI will have our own run group!!! :wink:

Tell them no, then what? That's a long drive to get a DQ for following the letter of the rules and intent of the series.

I've never had to pull a head before. I know it's not all that hard, but I won't be doing it for the first time at National's. Someone else would be taking it apart and putting it back together. Who's paying for parts and labor? Our increased entry fees..

As mentioned, this isn't "I'm legal, so this doesn't concern me". What are the criteria for who gets dinged?
    This is the same Hallett BS gone nationwide. Allowing teardown is a slippery slope. Changing series defining rules mid season is total BS.
    CMC#79