Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spec iron vent question

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar

Spec iron vent question

Anyone know if we are allowed to replace our quarter windows with a vent that can connect to my helmet for driver cooling? There is no performance adv, solely for cooling my head.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Let me raise the question with the group. Please stay tuned.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Decision?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Can't touch the quarter glass. You are more than welcome to hang a NACA duct in the driver's or passenger side window.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Talk to me at Cresson if you are interested in cooling (for you and your pony)....once I get the DAQ done I have a pretty cool (hehe pun intended) idea I've been playing around with.

I have a helmet blower I just wanted to use a vent cause you can get a lot more cfm blowing on your head from the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Suck fumes View Post
    I have a helmet blower I just wanted to use a vent cause you can get a lot more cfm blowing on your head from the outside.
    No worries. if you are still searching let me know at Cresson - I'm just offering this as a possible solution - I'm going to build it for our car regardless.

I'm considering the fact (based on studies and my 20 years of training and coaching atheletes) that your noggin' likes a relatively consistent temperature range for maximum athletic performance - blowing warm ambient air may not be the best way to manage that temperature.

Studies have shown that warm air streaming into the nasal cavity can generate lax emotional and cognitive responses (you are on the beach with your favorite drink) while slightly cold air generates alert and generally targeted emotional and cognitive responses. Of course sinus congestion pisses everyone off regardless of the air temp.

Slight increase in body temperature (when consistent with the brain's temp) will increase cognitive and muscle performance.
    Heating the hypothalamus beyond that "warm" point can induce sleep, affect cognitive and emotional responses, and can cause the thermogenic system to shut off. Creating a disparity between the body temp and that of the hypothalamus will negatively affect performance.

If you are running a cool suit for example and your head gets hot, regardless of the air flow (which for many months in Texas is quite warm air on track), your body is cooling but you are impairing your performance.
    If you are running a helmet blower pushing warm ambient air and not running a cool suit and your head gets hot, you are impairing your performance.

I have a cool suit system that I hook the hose to. So it would go from the vent to the ice chest then to my head. So the air would be chilled.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    I have a cool suit system that I hook the hose to. So it would go from the vent to the ice chest then to my head. So the air would be chilled.

"Cooler heads prevail"... couldn't resist

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Then why would you need to replace the quarter vent window, since there isn't a performance advantage? Since you are cooling it anyway, can't you get air from anywhere? Just curious...
    -Wayne
    -CMC #85