Thread: Mustang Fuel Pump

Senior Member Grass-Passer

Mustang Fuel Pump

Car has been a bit hard to start when cold, so I hooked the fuel pressure gauge up tonight and when the ignition is turned on (but not the car), the fuel pressure only builds up to 10 PSI or so. Once the car is running the fuel pressure is normal, so I'm guessing its either the fuel pressure regulator or the fuel pump, most likely the fuel pump.

What fuel pumps are you guys using? Just a stock replacement from Autozone/O'Rielly/Advance/etc, or something like a BBK or Walbro? Even though my car is a 96 4.6, it uses the same fuel pump as the 86-95 5.0's, so whatever works for you 5.0 guys will be good for me.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Try cycling the key two times (10 seconds or so each) and then start it. Watch fuel pressure too. It could just be a bad check ball/valve in the pump. My truck does this and has for many years.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    O'reiley pumps are more durable than Autozone.
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    When I first got my car it had a SVT Focus pump. When it went out I bought one off rockauto.com. I bought a carter 4.6 GT pump and I have never been able to tell the difference. We do sometimes have fuel starvation issues under a half a tank.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    When I first got my car it had a SVT Focus pump. When it went out I bought one off rockauto.com. I bought a carter 4.6 GT pump and I have never been able to tell the difference. We do sometimes have fuel starvation issues under a half a tank.

JJ
    not the same pump. His has a return style system. If you only want to do this once, go to aeromotive and find their replacement pump and be done with it. won't be cheap but it's better than having it crap out during a race.
    Ah, fugg it.

Upon further investigation, it looks like Glenn's suggestion of the check valve in the pump being bad is correct. Is it worth it to replace the pump due to a bad check valve? I replaced the pump about a year ago with a stock replacement from Advance Auto, so I wouldn't call this pump old or anything.

Well I went ahead and made the executive decision to replace the pump. The one I have now is an Airtex pump which, after doing some looking around, don't tend to last that long anyways. I ended up getting a Walbro pump, so we'll see how that goes.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blk96gt View Post
    Well I went ahead and made the executive decision to replace the pump.
    Replacing the pump was a good idea because you now have a spare pump that will get through a weekend in a pinch. You did cut a hole in the floor to make swapping the pump at the track an easy five minute job,right?

Richard P.

That's on the agenda.