Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Incident at road Atlanta last weekend

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar

Incident at road Atlanta last weekend

This is what happens when a Porsche breaks on track and doesn't pull off the racing line.

http://youtu.be/ntCrh-DRXsE

This is what could have happened at cresson had the track not been built on flat land.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    It absolutely baffles me that someone would pull off with a mechanical at the exit of a blind turn. Having said that, I have a hard time judging based on that one view. He did have a car behind him that passed him on the inside, and he had enough room after that pass to get over to the inside, but it's hard to tell what speed he was at after the first car passed him. Either way, if he hit the brakes and intentionally slowed down at that point on the track, it wasn't the best idea. Any other videos of this incident?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    Somebody still have Marshall's stop at Cresson on video? Similar situation but with better outcome - luckily. Put it up as another example of what can happen.
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    I believe it's in the '06 video... It was as far off as I could get, given where the fuel pump died... Still a bad situation that was make "okay" by several fast thinking individuals (namely my brother).
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Quote Originally Posted by marshall_mosty View Post
    It was as far off as I could get
    this is why I'm relucatant to throw stones at the car that broke... if that's what happened.

As the following driver it's not like he shouldn't have been looking up and through the corner to see the stranded car. View did not seem to be blocked.
    Ken Brewer; 1994 Toyota MR2 - #6 PTF
    SI wannabe - anyone got a spare money tree?
    "Zoom Zoom Zoom - On any given weekend more Mazdas make optimistic pass attempts than any other brand!"

It's also easy to sit here behind a computer and say why did so and so do X in this situation. I think it's also great to watch incidents like this as it makes you think what you would do in a similar situation. We'd all like to do the right thing, but there are so many other things going on while driving in a race that doing what should be done doesn't always happen.

What bothers me most is they pass 5 or so manned corners stations. None of which appear to be showing a yellow of any sort..... I watched several times in slow motion and the last station before the car appears to have both flaggers looking down stream a the car, but no flags. Maybe just can't see it.

Unfortunately, the Z that rolls appears to be one of our own guys from NOLA.....
    Last edited by nasa-rm; 03-25-2014 at 10:05 AM.
    Dave Balingit
    NASA RM Regional Dir

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    Here is another incident at the start of Sundays race.

http://youtu.be/-CaZBOxzB04

Quote Originally Posted by nasa-rm View Post
    What bothers me most is they pass 5 or so manned corners stations. None of which appear to be showing a yellow of any sort..... I watched several times in slow motion and the last station before the car appears to have both flaggers looking down stream a the car, but no flags. Maybe just can't see it.

Unfortunately, the Z that rolls appears to be one of our own guys from NOLA.....
    commentary I saw was that the Porsche was rolling to a stop just as the Z came up and through T5. Maybe the T5 station could've gotten a yellow out in time, but if that's true I can't put any blame on the stations upstream.

Just offering what I know as a way to help us sharpen between events what we should be doing/thinking/etc when we have the helment on - if it gets even one person thinking/acting in better ways that leads to avoiding something like this in the future then I'm happy.
    Ken Brewer; 1994 Toyota MR2 - #6 PTF
    SI wannabe - anyone got a spare money tree?
    "Zoom Zoom Zoom - On any given weekend more Mazdas make optimistic pass attempts than any other brand!"

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blk96gt View Post
    It's also easy to sit here behind a computer and say why did so and so do X in this situation. I think it's also great to watch incidents like this as it makes you think what you would do in a similar situation. We'd all like to do the right thing, but there are so many other things going on while driving in a race that doing what should be done doesn't always happen.
    This is why I typically always comment in our driver's meeting about always having an out. Know where you are on track and the direction of travel your car would, or would not want to go in the event you couldn't stay on the racing line.

This also can be traced back to BL's contact with Ben at Cresson. Brian's car naturally wanted to track out (exiting a left hander) and since Ben's car was taking up 3/4 of the track sitting sideways, Brian made the best decision for what his car could do and have the possibility of avoiding contact. What Brian didn't know at the time was Ben's car was sliding off track.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...