Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Incident at road Atlanta last weekend

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blk96gt View Post
    It's also easy to sit here behind a computer and say why did so and so do X in this situation. I think it's also great to watch incidents like this as it makes you think what you would do in a similar situation. We'd all like to do the right thing, but there are so many other things going on while driving in a race that doing what should be done doesn't always happen.
    It is. BUT, having the conversation every time puts another piece of the plan into play when you're in the car. I think the Z should have been able to see the Porsche at track right - I think I see the Z loose once he realizes he doesn't have track out and is more worried about giving up the spot. Pure speculation.

Should Brian have seen Ben up track and made a decision, within the pressure of a race for position, to check up some to have more alternatives if/when Ben fails to recover?

Having had more contact than I would like, I try to learn from these things - where am I going? If things go south where will I end up? Should I give up the spot/drive off/risk-reward? Is it a scratch or a totaled race car?

I'm with Balingit and see a lot of corner workers that seem to be standing around. The guys on the downhill side of the sign would have had the best warning with a waving yellow - but they couldn't see, so did they know?

I like all the discussion so as a group we can avoid more of these.

Now, with the same lack of visible flags replace the Porsche/racecar with an EV - everybody still as racy?
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    view from the Z - would've been tough to spot the strand-ing/stranded car being up the ass of the Audi like that

http://youtu.be/Sah_RX8A7cU
    Ken Brewer; 1994 Toyota MR2 - #6 PTF
    SI wannabe - anyone got a spare money tree?
    "Zoom Zoom Zoom - On any given weekend more Mazdas make optimistic pass attempts than any other brand!"

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kbrewmr2 View Post
    view from the Z - would've been tough to spot the strand-ing/stranded car being up the ass of the Audi like that

And it seems it was shielded more by the car ahead of the Audi. i.e. at 45-47 seconds of that video. Which also seems to show no flags of any kind.

Then between 3:38 and 3:45 there looks like an edit - around 3:38 it looks like two cars pass the porsche off line right. Were there enough visual clues in real time? Very hard to throw big rocks from here, especially during a race for position, but it's good info for the racecraft data bank.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    Here's the view we all wanted to see!

Notice he gets hit again by a Miata afterward.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    if you really want to throw stones... different run group but Formula Atlantic plows into car that had been stopped and covered by a waving yellow for at least 1min

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76tpyNwHRGQ
    Ken Brewer; 1994 Toyota MR2 - #6 PTF
    SI wannabe - anyone got a spare money tree?
    "Zoom Zoom Zoom - On any given weekend more Mazdas make optimistic pass attempts than any other brand!"

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Been watching this thread and not wanting to step in and let it run its course. Wanted to let you guys talk through the process.
    Talking about every contact no matter how big or small is always a good thing. Being able to talk to the other party involved as well as answer hard questions asked towards yourself if your found at fault in a non-defensive manner goes a long ways to full understanding for both POV.
    We have all the safety stuff for the things that can happen that we cannot control/prevent. Most of the time we test/use that safety gear in instances where what got us in the bad spot could have been prevented as it was in our control to do so - very hard for anyone to admit sometimes. But sometimes, an odd situation comes about that just could not be anticipated. It was perhaps beyond our control. To me, this looks like a bad situation that could have been much worse. I can feel fairly confident the driver that flipped had no chance to see it coming or react to it. When you race 10/10's, those are the situations you have to be willing to accept when it happens.
    For the driver of the stalled/stopped car. Until we know his story, we don't know more than half at best. Perhaps a mechanical caused him to stop there by no decision of his own (locked rear diff for example). How long was that car sitting there? The corner that could see him can't waive a yellow, he's not at or past that station. They may have been calling it in and explaining the issue. That takes time and more time for control to call back to the appropriate corner station and request a yellow. This could easily take 1-2 minutes. An eternity when your the driver of the car stalled/stranded.

Love that you guys want to talk about this type stuff. Very glad none of this got heated and a good healthy debate was allowed to happen.

The Porsche lost a transmission and it literally just came to a stop when he got hammered.

Here's another one from the same weekend.

http://youtu.be/76tpyNwHRGQ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I assume he got hit again there at the end? Then he gets out with cars still running on track. I guess he was tired of getting hit?

JJ

Yah he's lucky he didn't get hit while he was standing!