Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Toyo RR costs????

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If these fall off the same as the RA1 then I don't have a problem. I was not aware of that big a drop off in the RA-1. I usually would cord a tire before it got too slow to run. This was before the current set-up on the 55 and now that I don't run so damn much negative camber the heat cycles may become an issue with either tire. So figuring half day practice with three or four runs prior to most race weekends I was seeing about 10 heat cycles per weekend. Maybe heat cycles has been an issue with me since day one and I did not realize it. From Jeff Burch talking about thin to wins I assumed we wore out the tires prior to them slowing down. Maybe we are all learning something. I thought the faster guys like Michael (and Burch back in the day) were running their RA-1's until they corded........NO?

JJ

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AI#97 View Post
    Aaron, are you saying the RR's have the same fall off as RA1 version 2.0 or version 1.0 from 2005-2008? I remember buying RA1's for $175 ea back in 2005 or so, plus shaving.

And FYI, BFG's are the bomb! I took take offs from Misty's car and put them on the mustang for this last weekend. 23 heat cycles and still usable, but about 1-1.5 seconds off pace. Just no rain tire unless you want KDW's.

NASA CAN'T sign a contract with Nitto per their contract with Toyo. oh well. Run outlaw rules and everyone buy a container of NT-01's. Same or better life than the RA1 version 1.0. I have a set with over 30 heat cycles on it and nearly 1/2 tread left. Also have a couple other sets with 40+ heat cycles and still in great shape. Hell, that 30+ set was on the car in Houston and ran faster than the Hankooks I had and out qual'd some of the ST guys on Hoosier R100's and Yoko Advans. LOL!

I recently scratched the Yoko's and Hankooks off my "to try" list and it sounds like the RR may get scratched off too.

The RA1's I got last year from Phil (paid him cause his shave was the best) were only about $10 cheaper than the RR. And the wear characteristics of both are about the same. With shipping from Phil the RA1's were almost $1k. So like I said the tire budget really shouldn't change much. I always bought new 3/32 tires last yr every weekend. Now that's not something you have to do but I didn't want any excuses as to why or if I lost. You don't have to buy a new set of RR's either every time. The tread will last a while but the grip starts to fade about the same as te RA1. Just try them before you develop an opinion.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty View Post
    Glenn, what was the fall-off you were seeing with the RA1's?
    4th weekend and they were junk.
    I could run them at 3 weekends, but it wasn't fun. This also is very track dependent. MSR-C is a slick track, but it seems to like tires w/ a weekend already on them. Hallett, as I recall (been a while) likes new rubber w/ no heat cycles.

My best recollection is new tires during weekend 3.

Anyone have any idea how much Toyo pays NASA to be designated spec tire in most if not all competition classes?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    From Jeff Burch talking about thin to wins I assumed we wore out the tires prior to them slowing down. JJ
    Officially, there is no difference between the RA-1's from back when Burch ran and the RA-1's you can buy today. Unofficially, many people believe that the older tires both lasted longer and didn't heat cycle out.

In my experience, the RA-1's from way back needed a staggering amount of lead to balance out. Then they didn't. Then they didn't last as long...

Richard P.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by kbrewmr2 View Post
    newly introduced this year - their answer to Hoosier H20, Kumho W710, etc
    http://www.philstireservice.com/bfgo...g-force-kdw-r/
    Mother of Hell! they are nearly $100 more each than the dry tire!
    Ah, fugg it.

Yah but those Hoosier h20 are unbelievable in the rain but they wear out incredibly fast. They are realllllly soft.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    if you want to simultaneously give the middle finger to physics and the weather when it rains and you're racing, get true wet tires like those, Hoosier Wets, etc... full tread RA1s look like junk in comparison.
    Ken Brewer; 1994 Toyota MR2 - #6 PTF
    SI wannabe - anyone got a spare money tree?
    "Zoom Zoom Zoom - On any given weekend more Mazdas make optimistic pass attempts than any other brand!"

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennCMC70 View Post
    4th weekend and they were junk.
    I could run them at 3 weekends, but it wasn't fun. This also is very track dependent. MSR-C is a slick track, but it seems to like tires w/ a weekend already on them. Hallett, as I recall (been a while) likes new rubber w/ no heat cycles.

My best recollection is new tires during weekend 3.
    That is pretty darn close to my opinion as well. After 3 weekends, if there was tire left they were only used for goofing around or as worst case scenario a spare in case of a puncture.
    The 3rd weekend for me still felt pretty good, but that might be the 150 lb less weight.

I just hope these RR's don't fall off as much as we are talking. I was planning on running the RR's at TWS and Hallett but if they start heat cycling out quickly then they will be crap for the 2nd part of Hallett when the grip will be most important!! I'm thinking of running the RA1's for part of TWS so I can save the RR's for Hallett.
    The purpose of CMC is budget racing. (I know, budget racing doesn't exist, haha). Buying a new set of tires for each event is NOT budget racing.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Keep in mind most SI cars have to weigh 3440-3540 pds thanks to our rediculous power baseline of 285hp (way to low) so our cars will eat tires faster. Our tires would last a lot longer if they changed the baseline to 295hp/305tq so we could remove a lot of this weight ballast.
    Last edited by Suck fumes; 04-04-2014 at 10:22 AM.