Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyo RR costs????

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    That pricing and life span is ludicrous. I'll table the motion to seriously look into something else. One of the "lower" level tires from Toyo or Nitto (same company by the way) with more life span would be my starting point. Additionally, that kind of money will put a serious hurt on my desire to return to CMC, I'll just build the car for open track or sell it.
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Those are my thoughts as well Rob. If I have to buy a new set of tires every weekend I'll go find somewhere else to run.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Liebbe View Post
    That pricing and life span is ludicrous. I'll table the motion to seriously look into something else. One of the "lower" level tires from Toyo or Nitto (same company by the way) with more life span would be my starting point. Additionally, that kind of money will put a serious hurt on my desire to return to CMC, I'll just build the car for open track or sell it.
    I think we keep asking and keep being denied.

I much more for a tire that last than a tire that is fast.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    Any tire under racing conditions is not going to last long. However I can vouch for the nitto NT01. I had a friend that ran a 6hr enduro on those and won the whole thing with not issues! And the tire still had about 40% life left! But they would require shaving which is not something I enjoy doing.

Pricing isn't any diff for the RR vs RA1 shaved. Still about a grand. The life span is about the same to for me. Not saying I like or approve of that but that's my experience.
    Last edited by Suck fumes; 04-03-2014 at 08:49 AM.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If it really requires a new set of tires every race weekend or you will be a second or two slower I can't see myself racing past this year. I hate to even say that. I love this sport and I love the guys I race with but I will not go from buying 10 to 12 tires per six race weekend season to 24 tires per six race weekend season. I can't see more than a few CMC guys (maybe none) being willing to pay $6000.00 per year in tires. Changes your whole thought pattern doesn't it James?

Jerry

someone's ubercompetitiveness is showing
    Ken Brewer; 1994 Toyota MR2 - #6 PTF
    SI wannabe - anyone got a spare money tree?
    "Zoom Zoom Zoom - On any given weekend more Mazdas make optimistic pass attempts than any other brand!"

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    This tire budget is about average if not less than most. Gotta pay to play.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    It is a bit telling that even the guys who get a good amount of Toyo bucks on a fairly regular basis are complaining about costs. If this is the case then we can either select another "official" tire or all agree to and run on an unofficial tire and just don't worry about Toyo bucks as a group. I feel like the RA1 was the gateway tire and we are now being forced up the chain to a more expensive plateau.

The Nitto NT01 is one of the ones to consider as is the Falken Adven (I think that's right) has had good success on a Lemons Mustang that I know of.
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    If it really requires a new set of tires every race weekend or you will be a second or two slower I can't see myself racing past this year. I hate to even say that. I love this sport and I love the guys I race with but I will not go from buying 10 to 12 tires per six race weekend season to 24 tires per six race weekend season. I can't see more than a few CMC guys (maybe none) being willing to pay $6000.00 per year in tires. Changes your whole thought pattern doesn't it James?

Jerry
    You know you are preaching to choir I sit in. I'll quit long before I waste that kind of money on tires.

Mass exodus from CMC to PT???