Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about trouble with RR's

Question about trouble with RR's

Finally got my car back together and getting ready for TWS. Went to Cresson Friday a week ago to test and am running into what I consider to be a pretty serious issue with the Toyo RR's.

After 3 heat cycles here is what I found today when I was checking everything over for this weekend.

I read the TSB on mounting them with the DOT codes being out on the LF/RR and in RF/LR so they were mounted and marked correct prior to the run.

My question is if this is turning into a problem and have one of these tires come apart on someone yet? If this is the result after only 3 cycles, I'm sure they will fail.

Also, built up hot pressures were between 39-43 pounds (low/high) though out the day. Not sure what people are seeing pressure wise, but I was shooting for 39 pounds.

Any help would be appreciated.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Dave-glad to hear you have the car back on track. Sorry but I can't offer any insight into the tire other than it does look scary but also similar to the TSB they have on the tire splice showing. Maybe contact whoever you got the tires from to send a pic to them and see if they can get some tech from Toyo if that still looks normal. I don't know the difference in what is considered a normal/visible tread splice and an open tread splice. The bottom pic looks fine based on their TSB but not sure about the top pic. Did you see the TSB about the tread splice showing and not just the mounting procedure?
    The pdf to the link is the first one on this page.

http://toyotires.com/customer-care/t...vice-bulletins

My RR's just showed up today and they sure seem soft.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Thanks, I'm glad to finally be able to play with it again.

I contacted Toyo yesterday, Toyo sent me to Tire Rack, Tire Rack had me email them pictures then they emailed the pictures to Toyo, Toyo said the top picture is warranty, the bottom isn't, but Toyo said that I need to flip the tire on the rim of the bottom pictured tire and the splice "should lay back down".

Yes, I have the TSB about the tire splice and the rotation, that's what concerned me was that they were correctly orientated on the car/rim. I always watch my tires pretty closely anyway, the RR's just may need to be checked much more often. Last thing I want to do is fling a damn tread off.

Glad to hear you're getting the top one replaced under warranty.
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Dave,
    Just for a reference point, what is your car weight?
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Grass-Passer Casey_SS's Avatar
    Strangely enough my RRs look fine but one of my RA1s from Houston has a visible tread splice. 1313 date code...

2012 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #29

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    They are the same compound that's prob why both ra1 and RR did that.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Suck fumes View Post
    They are the same compound that's prob why both ra1 and RR did that.
    If that is true (and I'm not saying it's not) then the tire should be a lot like the RA-1 in grip, heat cycles before losing speed, life, etc. If it's the same compound why would it be much if any different than a 4/32" shaved RA-1? I understand that there is more to a tire than the compound. Just wondering?

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    That's weird that they would warranty a racing tire. Has me worried that it's likely not a one off. Hope they don't have another debacle on their hands like the 888-but this isn't just a matter of a sorry tire this is a matter of a safe tire.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I knew nothing of the mounting instructions with the DOT numbers so I went out last night and looked at the six new tires I just bought. The four on the car are not all in the correct place but somehow without me knowing to tell them the guys mounted them three with numbers out and three with numbers in.

JJ