Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about trouble with RR's

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    The RR has done that splicing thing since they came out. The miatas were doing it too. It only happens if you don't break them in gently and heat cycle them once before you romp on them. Pressures have a lot to do with it too.

I say the compound is the same because they act the same as far as heat cycling and they are the same softness. The RR is a little quicker cause it is completely smooth all around.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Suck fumes View Post
    The RR has done that splicing thing since they came out. The miatas were doing it too. It only happens if you don't break them in gently and heat cycle them once before you romp on them. Pressures have a lot to do with it too.

I say the compound is the same because they act the same as far as heat cycling and they are the same softness. The RR is a little quicker cause it is completely smooth all around.
    Need more info. Where does Toyo explain how we need to be gentle the first heat cycle? How long do you need to let them "rest" after the first gentle heat cycle?

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Ditto, I'll likely run the track day Friday morning, I'd have almost 24hrs of rest time before I'd use them Saturday. Curious as to what I should do...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    This tire looks to be the disaster we thought it would be. A tire should be able to be used as soon as it is put on the car... not babied around until a given time that Toyo deems appropriate.

These dayum things cost too friggin much to be so worried that you properly broke it in or ran it in the wrong direction. Never saw this problem before running the RA1.

Senior Member Site AdminGrass-Passer cjlmlml's Avatar
    agreed
    AI # 12

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    I ran my RR's for the first time on Friday prior to MSR-C. Put 3 heat cycles on them that day. Only the first session was 6-7 tenths and that was just to figure out where pressures needed to be. They rested for all of an hour before I started to hit them VERY hard with about an hour or two between heat cycles on Friday. They now have 10 heat cycles over the course of 3 days (Fri-Sun) and I don't have any tread splices showing. That's with 327HP/349TQ on a 3200lb car, YMMV..
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Blog Entries
    one heat cycle and pull them off and cover them to cool down slowly for 24 hours. Or you can pay $10 per tire to have them heat cycled though I'm told it's not as good as doing them on the car.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall_mosty View Post
    Only the first session was 6-7 tenths and that was just to figure out where pressures needed to be.
    How does running at 6-7 tenths tell you anything about pressures? How does it tell you anything???

Richard P.

Blog Entries
    I never bothered to heat cycle both sets of RA1s, since both times I've just barely been getting the car to the track and had o.

So how do I "heat cycle" them? Just do a few 80% laps then park/dismount?

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    probably real same to Hoosier procedure - work up starting with not even 50% gradually up to 75-80% pace to build heat slowly and evenly (to avoid graining) and definitely don't slide/lock up/etc at all during this HC session. Then pull them off (avoids one spot staying hotter / flatter) or put the car on jackstands, blanket the tires (slows heat loss) if possible, and don't even look at them for a min of 24hrs - more is better if you can manage allegedly.

You're trying to "bake" the tire an additional time and in a way that can't be done by the factory to increase the length of the polymer rubber chains (so I've read anyway) which increases durability, longevity, and grip all at the same time supposedly. Sliding/locking tears the chains instead of baking them together.

This helps alot of (most..?) tires (not just "sensitive" ones) last longer and stay faster over more HCs - surprised the budget guys aren't already doing stuff like this. I know it helps me have the later heat cycles still end up faster than if I didn't bother doing it at all with the tires I've run but that's limited to pre-tsunami RA1s and Hoosiers. Someone like McSpadden has run more stuff and such.
    Last edited by kbrewmr2; 04-24-2014 at 02:57 PM.
    Ken Brewer; 1994 Toyota MR2 - #6 PTF
    SI wannabe - anyone got a spare money tree?
    "Zoom Zoom Zoom - On any given weekend more Mazdas make optimistic pass attempts than any other brand!"