Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Question about trouble with RR's

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    I've always heat cycled all my tires. But it's usually just a few laps during practice then a few hrs of sitting before qualifying. Some is better than none. Any race tire will grain if you go 100% when new for a long period of time. If its sticker Hoosiers then they are fastest when new but most only run a few laps to get a flyer then they park it. If you stay out for a whole session you will grain them (Toyo included) and you might as well throw them away.

Just an update, Toyo did warranty the one tire and told me to verify rotation and the splice should lay down on the other. I ran yesterday and the splice in the one did in fact lay back down, the other three are fine. Marshall, actual car weight is 3452 with me and 4 gallons, HP is 360, TQ 376. Tires that are on the car now have 5 cycles on 3 and 2 on 1 (warranty tire). I was pretty rough on them yesterday and the new tire didn't show any issues, even running it hard first rattle out of the box.

As for warranty on a race tire, when I called Toyo, they were pretty rude, told me to call Tire Rack. Tire Rack on the other hand said no problem, had an answer 2 hours after they got the pictures. I agree though, Toyo wouldn't warranty a race tire that they didn't think had issues. The did want to know type of car and weight though.

We will see how they last the weekend. Being so long since I've been in my car, I'm not sure I could give an accurate comparison with the RA1's. I know the RA's always hated these pig heavy S197's, that's the sole reason for putting it on a major diet.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Looking back at the "history of race tires", Toyo has always had issues with their tires after they went away from the original RA1. R888 was a debacle. RA1 v2.0 was inferior to previous tire, and now the RR seems to be iffy for quality. Now look at the NT01 which was the same carcass as the old RA1 and they are still fantastic to this day. What has changed? New process? New carcass? New compound? Different manufacturing plant?

Now look at pricing on the new tires compared to other brands. While BFG, Hoosier and Goodyear had price increases of 10-15% over the years, TOYO has had nearly a 40-50% increase in costs to give you tires that have shorter life and iffy quality. Where BFG and Hoosier have had cost increases, they have worked to make the tires last longer. Toyo is just in the business of bleeding you guys dry with "newer and better tires that are good for the class."

Most of you guys have been around long enough to see this history and I would say this "path" is unacceptable. Only people making out on this deal are Toyo and maybe NASA if they are getting money to have Toyo as spec tire.

For what it's worth, we have been running BFG's for several events now and LOVE them! I think they would make a great tire for the series and you have the Rival for the rain tire.
    Ah, fugg it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Please dont act as though we are all happy with this tire because we use it. Lots of talk going around about changing it. At the end of the day, HQ has final say.