Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wiring help in Houston?

Senior Member Grass-Passer

Wiring help in Houston?

Well after removing all that excess wiring, the car still starts and runs without posting any codes. Now it's time to look at the best way to put this all back together.

Since the overall goal for this whole process was to simplify the wiring, I'm not real sure of the ideal way to put all this crap back together. Would anyone in Houston be willing to swing by and give me an opinion on where to go from here? I know I could always just throw some harness wrap back on the remaining wires and put it back together like it was, but it seems to me there's a better way to go about finishing this up. Some things I had thought of were relocating the engine compartment fuse box, replacing the stock fuse boxes with a new fuse panel, power distribution routing, wire routing, etc.

I'm on the northeast side of town in Kingwood and should be available the rest of the weekend or any evening this week, as well as next weekend. Can provide beer, drinks and/or food.

Thanks.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blk96gt View Post
    Well after removing all that excess wiring, the car still starts and runs without posting any codes. Now it's time to look at the best way to put this all back together.

Since the overall goal for this whole process was to simplify the wiring, I'm not real sure of the ideal way to put all this crap back together. Would anyone in Houston be willing to swing by and give me an opinion on where to go from here? I know I could always just throw some harness wrap back on the remaining wires and put it back together like it was, but it seems to me there's a better way to go about finishing this up. Some things I had thought of were relocating the engine compartment fuse box, replacing the stock fuse boxes with a new fuse panel, power distribution routing, wire routing, etc.

I'm on the northeast side of town in Kingwood and should be available the rest of the weekend or any evening this week, as well as next weekend. Can provide beer, drinks and/or food.

Thanks.
    You may want to talk to Wade. He did a great job on my old car after I did it and had it looking like crap. Glenn also does a really clean wiring job on his cars.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    I would leave all the OEM locations alone (distribution block and fuse panel). I would go to Home Depot and buy the small 4" black tie straps and secure the bundle ever 3".
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall_mosty View Post
    I would leave all the OEM locations alone (distribution block and fuse panel). I would go to Home Depot and buy the small 4" black tie straps and secure the bundle ever 3".
    In addition to this I like to use the "velcro" style straps for the wires that may see some action, so you don't have to deal with zip ties every time, just pop open the strap, do your business, and reattach it.
    Something like this, I like the thin low profile stuff.
    http://www.amazon.com/CableWholesale.../dp/B0069FJR2M
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

I've got some non-adhesive electrical tape and TechFlex F6 woven split wrap for wrapping the harness. I've used the tape some already and it seems to be on par with what it came with from the factory.

Marshall, you're probably right that it's just better to leave the stock stuff alone. I ought to quit while I'm ahead anyways, since the car still runs, haha.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    I've got some non-adhesive electrical tape and TechFlex F6 woven split wrap for wrapping the harness. I've used the tape some already and it seems to be on par with what it came with from the factory.

Marshall, you're probably right that it's just better to leave the stock stuff alone. I ought to quit while I'm ahead anyways, since the car still runs, haha.

Kevin,
    I attempted to de-wire my stock harness back at the beginning and even though it worked, I was plagued with electrical gremlins for several seasons and that culminated to me installing a Painless harness. I know that you don't have that option ultimately, but if I were you, as you stated above... Quite while you are ahead and it still runs properly...
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Or install a carb (it's the way of the future you know...) and then you'll only have to worry about 6 wires total.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trublu View Post
    Or install a carb (it's the way of the future you know...) and then you'll only have to worry about 6 wires total.
    Is there a 4.6L carb option? Seems like I've seen 4bbl carb 4.6Lmanifolds. Go for it Jander!

edit:

Here you go

http://www.jegs.com/p/Edelbrock/Edel...rPage=90&pno=1
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall_mosty View Post
    Kevin,
    I attempted to de-wire my stock harness back at the beginning and even though it worked, I was plagued with electrical gremlins for several seasons and that culminated to me installing a Painless harness. I know that you don't have that option ultimately, but if I were you, as you stated above... Quite while you are ahead and it still runs properly...
    Yeah that was one thing I was worried about. One thing I didn't do though is touch the PCM or engine harness. Everything I removed came out of the chassis, and probably 90% of it wasn't plugged in to begin with. That's not to say I may not have inadvertently done something stupid though. I plan to take the car to the track in July and give it a shakedown and see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Liebbe View Post
    Is there a 4.6L carb option? Seems like I've seen 4bbl carb 4.6Lmanifolds. Go for it Jander!

edit:

Here you go

http://www.jegs.com/p/Edelbrock/Edel...rPage=90&pno=1
    Hah! I found this out of curiosity one time. Didn't really dig that deep into it. I'll let someone else be the test mule. Jerry...??

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yeah that was one thing I was worried about. One thing I didn't do though is touch the PCM or engine harness. Everything I removed came out of the chassis, and probably 90% of it wasn't plugged in to begin with. That's not to say I may not have inadvertently done something stupid though. I plan to take the car to the track in July and give it a shakedown and see how it goes.

Hah! I found this out of curiosity one time. Didn't really dig that deep into it. I'll let someone else be the test mule. Jerry...??
    Why? I don't have any issues with the EFI.

JJ