Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nationals

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar

Nationals

Already 10 spec iron and 10 CMC cars signed up. Should be a blast at Atlanta!

And 26 AI!

I hope they split up the classes somehow cause that's going to be a double yellow race after turn one with that many fast cars. And I really hope they don't do those stupid standing starts either.
    Last edited by Suck fumes; 07-13-2014 at 12:41 PM.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    I wouldn't rule out standing starts yet if I were you. Start sending nice polite emails to whoever the AI National Director is and also I'd try and see if you can figure out who the race director for that group will be ahead of time and also ask them nicely & politely. Never too early to lobby.... Ditto with the split groups but that's probably going to be a tougher road to go down towards any meaningful change as often hands end up getting tied by the schedule, only so much time in the days and it's now a more compressed schedule (3 day event versus 4).

If there are standing starts y'all will get lined up starting pretty close to the turn-in point for T1, so that corner won't be the one where I'd expect a pile-up from a standing start. Isn't it usually T3 where things seem to go T.U. on the 1st lap more often anyway? Usually someone hops too much curb, spins, and everyone starts swarming around them or jumping over to the motorcyle cut-through section of track and it's a bit chaotic merging back but not awful (imle).

Nationals is (supposed to be anyway) the best of the best so I wouldn't predict what will happen based solely alone on just regional level races with a wider mix of talent, car prep, etc. negative nancy
    Ken Brewer; 1994 Toyota MR2 - #6 PTF
    SI wannabe - anyone got a spare money tree?
    "Zoom Zoom Zoom - On any given weekend more Mazdas make optimistic pass attempts than any other brand!"

Nationals is not always the best of the best as anyone is allowed to go if they participate in 5 events. There is no "invite" from point standings like with SCCA. So I will nicely request some things and hope for the best.

Maybe they could let AIX and AI run as a group and SI and CMC run as a group. Personally we would rather be gridded based on qualifying times and if that means we are in with the AI cars ,so be it. We don't really care one way or the other on standing starts, but don't really care to much for the inverts.

Quote Originally Posted by Suck fumes View Post
    Nationals is not always the best of the best as anyone is allowed to go if they participate in 5 events. There is no "invite" from point standings like with SCCA. So I will nicely request some things and hope for the best.
    how many people with 5 races that suck are actually going to spend that much money to go get their asses kicked worse than would happen regionally? Really??

There's upsides and downsides to each way to skin a cat though.
    Last edited by kbrewmr2; 07-14-2014 at 11:22 AM.
    "Zoom Zoom Zoom - On any given weekend more Mazdas make optimistic pass attempts than any other brand!"

I think you would be surprised at how many would go just to be part of a large scale event.

Quote Originally Posted by JMR81 View Post
    I think you would be surprised at how many would go just to be part of a large scale event.
    Probably the same sort of people that would cherry-pick their way into a decent enough points position (or whatever other qualifying route) to get an invite. Shurg.

Anywho as a participant in '06, '07, and '09 I really didn't spot any/many poor efforts. Certianly none that were memorable anyway.
    Last edited by kbrewmr2; 07-14-2014 at 12:49 PM.

Yah if AI and AIX were were in a separate group that would be perfect!