Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nationals

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kbrewmr2 View Post
    how many people with 5 races that suck are actually going to spend that much money to go get their asses kicked worse than would happen regionally? Really??

There's upsides and downsides to each way to skin a cat though.
    Raises Hand. Had my car not been totaled this year I would have made the trip to Nationals and I haven't had a top 3 finish in 5 years I bet. Though I might have a better shot at a top 3 at Nationals rather than a regional. I would have bet that I finished higher at Nat's than I do in most races in Texas, too. I mean why do I go to the expense of doing the regionals just to have the 55 fly by me? There are plenty of people that go to Nats. that aren't even front runners in there region-or maybe they are front runners in a weak region.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    you can keep up with the pack and aren't dangerously unaware of what's going on (like being lapped by AIX/AI if/when that happens). You're not the sorta guy they're complaining about. I think.....
    Last edited by kbrewmr2; 07-14-2014 at 02:39 PM.
    Ken Brewer; 1994 Toyota MR2 - #6 PTF
    SI wannabe - anyone got a spare money tree?
    "Zoom Zoom Zoom - On any given weekend more Mazdas make optimistic pass attempts than any other brand!"

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    you... aren't dangerously unaware of what's going on...
    Only guy to ever have a building sneak up on him.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    That's why I think a lot of people like nationals cause the Dyno is right there to keep everyone honest. That's why I've always enjoyed going. Plus having somewhat of a real tech inspection is a plus also.

PS... The 55 is just a fast driver, and he's put some good work into the car over the past few months also so don't imply something unless you got proof to back it up.
    Last edited by Suck fumes; 07-14-2014 at 02:42 PM.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Quote Originally Posted by Fbody383 View Post
    Only guy to ever have a building sneak up on him.
    touche
    Ken Brewer; 1994 Toyota MR2 - #6 PTF
    SI wannabe - anyone got a spare money tree?
    "Zoom Zoom Zoom - On any given weekend more Mazdas make optimistic pass attempts than any other brand!"

Quote Originally Posted by Suck fumes View Post
    I hope they split up the classes somehow cause that's going to be a double yellow race after turn one with that many fast cars. And I really hope they don't do those stupid standing starts either.
    It's not like you are going to hit an AI car in turn 1 because the guy sucks at standing starts. Oh wait... nevermind.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby

Anywho as a participant in '06, '07, and '09 I really didn't spot any/many poor efforts. Certianly none that were memorable anyway.
    You obviously haven't run AI at nationals then.... I can recall at least 4 events that were a joke.

Be sure to rally and vote as a group in the first AI drivers meeting against standing starts. We voted against them in 08 and 09 and got our wish. Nationally competitive AI cars all have tiny clutches that breed stalls and accidents. Just make sure the rules for pace up to green on a rolling start are voiced and ENFORCED and the rolling start should be fine.

edited for additional positive information.
    Last edited by AI#97; 07-14-2014 at 03:42 PM.
    Ah, fugg it.

Quote Originally Posted by JMR81 View Post
    I think you would be surprised at how many would go just to be part of a large scale event.
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    Raises Hand. Had my car not been totaled this year I would have made the trip to Nationals and I haven't had a top 3 finish in 5 years I bet. Though I might have a better shot at a top 3 at Nationals rather than a regional. I would have bet that I finished higher at Nat's than I do in most races in Texas, too. I mean why do I go to the expense of doing the regionals just to have the 55 fly by me? There are plenty of people that go to Nats. that aren't even front runners in there region-or maybe they are front runners in a weak region.
    When I went to Nationals in Mid Ohio I had no business going and I new it, I wanted to participate in THE large scale event.

My goal was to compete and not screw up anyone's race. I decided before I left, if I can finish in the top 15 I would be VERY happy.

I accomplished my goal, had a blast and learned a ton! Nationals is a lot of fun, but it's expensive (especially the way I did it). If you are confident in your driving abilities and good with dealing with faster traffic then pack up your car and come hang out with the Texas group in Atlanta.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    When we get there we can all gather and sign a petition against standing starts haha. I was the only one who raised my hand last year against it so I had to suck it up and do it. This year I would prefer not to do it. It will be safer and probably a lot smoother as far as less problems.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Suck fumes View Post

PS... The 55 is just a fast driver, and he's put some good work into the car over the past few months also so don't imply something unless you got proof to back it up.
    Aaron,

You have no way of knowing this and I appreciate the kind words but BL and I are good friends and we just screw with each other on the forum. Oh and don't tell him about the hidden flip chip. Just kidding Glenn I could not help myself.

JJ
    Last edited by ShadowBolt; 07-14-2014 at 08:04 PM.