Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why I am OK with missing a few races a year these days........

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Why I am OK with missing a few races a year these days........

Hope all of you can see this. Let me know if you can't.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=728500623876962

The link is to a vid of a homerun my 8 year old hit last Sat. In the park no error homer. Not the first by any means, but one I got on video (phone turned wrong, I know...)
    The fence is 220ft (field is for older girls) and she hit a grounder that almost got that far going through the grass (I guess 200ft plus). It just missed the pitching machine (if it hits it, it's an automatic single).
    This was the first machine pitch tournament her team has played. They were still getting used to the different trajectory the ball takes from a machine vs. being pitched by a coach. I only got this one on video, but she pretty much hit like this all day (4 games). They won all games by 10 or more points.
    I just can't stand missing their games as I know this time will be gone all to soon.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    I can't see the video...but that is awesome. You know I understand and feel the exact same way. I never would have thought about how much fun it is to watch my kids compete before I had kids.

This year Jaycie moves up to school team sports in volleyball and basketball, but still playing club soccer also. She also plans to run track, is a cheerleader, in band and may even play golf if she can fit into her schedule.

And Kenzie will be trying out for high school soccer this year.
    Last edited by AllZWay; 07-22-2014 at 08:38 AM.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If you do not have children you could not understand this concept. I enjoyed watching Jay play Football more than playing it myself. It is all over way too soon. You will wake up one day and she will be gone. As soon as they get a drivers license you have lost them. This is the main reason I don't mind splitting time in the race car with Jay. I would rather drive than watch but I get real enjoyment just watching Jay race. Oh and you still worry about them even when they are in their 30's.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    If you do not have children you could not understand this concept. I enjoyed watching Jay play Football more than playing it myself. It is all over way too soon. You will wake up one day and she will be gone. As soon as they get a drivers license you have lost them. This is the main reason I don't mind splitting time in the race car with Jay. I would rather drive than watch but I get real enjoyment just watching Jay race. Oh and you still worry about them even when they are in their 30's. JJ
    My goal is to get the kids into racing and eventually run enduros with them... Everyone gets seat time and we all get to learn to pull together as a team. I hope that I'm still loving this hobby in 25-30 years when my kiddos are as old as I am.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    That's cool Glenn-I'm jealous. Jerry is right-I have seen this with my stepdaughter-now she is 16 and has become a ghost. I also envy Jerry's setup with Jay-at times I wish my Dad would be out there but unless I drag race he isn't going to have the interest. So I dream about being like Jerry and racing with my son-of course I don't dream about being slow and old like Jerry!!
    I think it's better if they have an activity or sport that they can focus on which keeps them busy and hopefully involves the entire family somehow. It's my opinion that kids care about you being there and home when they are 16 and under. They aren't going to care what you are doing when they are in college. So take advantage of the window as you only have about 8 years left-you will still be young enough to race by then-just look at Randy! I know when I missed ECR last year taking my daughter camping I realized that there is no way I would pick the track over a weekend like that with her. Though, I came back from Hallett talking about trying to get the whole family up there somehow. That was until my wife heard about waterski's, rope, and a 4 wheeler heading to the pond. Guess I'll do some cheatin bastard wakeboarding this weekend to get ready for next year.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Grass-Passer rleng1's Avatar
    Being with your children, is no greater feeling. It goes by too quick. So enjoy them while they still think you are cool. When they turn 16 (15 for girls), aliens enter their bodies, and you become uncool. Then at 25, they return to normal.
    Enjoy the time you have with them, then come back and race with Jerry and I in the 60+ group.
    You will realize that you are not as good as you once were, but are now good once as you ever was.
    Excellent hit and homer. That girl can run.
    Randy English
    NASA Texas --> Rocky Mtn Region
    CMC #77 Camaro

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    I am excited about our first son being born in October. I plan to cut back on racing for a little while and spend some family time at home. His whole nursery is all car stuff though haha. I found a cool corvette bed for when he gets a little older. Hopefully he'll like cars as much as I did growing up, then he'll get to race with dad and grandpa even though he'll be in his 70's haha.

Senior Member Grass-Passer rleng1's Avatar
    Congrats SF (Aaron). You'll be a great dad. My first granddaughter is due in November. So let's see, she will learn to drive when I am, er, 72. Oh yeah, I can make that happen. Hopefully I won't be racing electric cars or wheelchairs. Go ahead Bryan, say it.
    Randy English
    NASA Texas --> Rocky Mtn Region
    CMC #77 Camaro

Senior Member Site AdminGrass-Passer cjlmlml's Avatar
    You guys are speaking the truth.Word.
    AI # 12

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    BTW.. Kenzie is taking Drivers Ed right now. Holy Cow is it scary trying to instruct her how to drive. Never in the years of instructing race car drivers going 120-150mph was I as afraid as I am in the car with her going 20mph.

We are looking for her a first car... needs to be a 1 ton truck, but I guess we will settle for a civic, cobalt, corolla....etc.

My youngest Jaycie is only 12, but she is already hounding me to get her a Miata.