Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why I am OK with missing a few races a year these days........

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Its so much tougher to teach someone that isn't a stranger to you initially I've found. Yikes. Gotta be super scary when it's one of your chillins.
    Ken Brewer; 1994 Toyota MR2 - #6 PTF
    SI wannabe - anyone got a spare money tree?
    "Zoom Zoom Zoom - On any given weekend more Mazdas make optimistic pass attempts than any other brand!"

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    I didn't make the commitment to race untill my kids were grown and Amber was out of softball. Then I made the mistake of adding them to the team (just kidding). There is no way I could have expected them to stand by and watch, besides once they start to drive they always know a better way to do it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    You guys wanting to get family involved in racing is a cool idea...in theory. However, in REALITY, having more than one race car is a NIGHTMARE unless you don't have a day job. Trust me, just have one car and share it....much fewer headaches!

P.S.....anyone need a lemons car?! LOL!
    Ah, fugg it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AI#97 View Post
    You guys wanting to get family involved in racing is a cool idea...in theory. However, in REALITY, having more than one race car is a NIGHTMARE unless you don't have a day job. Trust me, just have one car and share it....much fewer headaches!

P.S.....anyone need a lemons car?! LOL!
    Just as I have thought and the reason Jay and I share the 55.

JJ

We have been doing this as a family ever since a friend took us to a go kart race when Jack was 5. We both raced karts and did one race in cars together. I would not trade one moment of the time or money spent doing this for anything. I feel pretty fortunate to have a 19yr old that still likes hanging out with his mom and dad and appreciates everything we do so that we can go racing.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AllZWay View Post
    Holy Cow is it scary trying to instruct her how to drive. Never in the years of instructing race car drivers going 120-150mph was I as afraid as I am in the car with her going 20mph.
    Becca has her pemit already and we're putting in the driving and parking practice time. It's funny to me that her mom has more issues driving with her than I do. I love having the kids do ABS stops in a parking lot from about 45-50mph.

At my house it's more likely that she would get in the race car before the boy child. In fact, she reminds me relatively often that I need to get the Firebird "parts car" on the road so she can learn how to drive a stick.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fbody383 View Post
    Becca has her pemit already and we're putting in the driving and parking practice time. It's funny to me that her mom has more issues driving with her than I do. I love having the kids do ABS stops in a parking lot from about 45-50mph.

At my house it's more likely that she would get in the race car before the boy child. In fact, she reminds me relatively often that I need to get the Firebird "parts car" on the road so she can learn how to drive a stick.
    Yep.. My youngest is the one that wants to go racing now. That is why she has chosen a Miata as her car when she gets old enough.. thinking once she learns to drive it, then she can go racing.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    Having raced a Miata for 12 yrs I would highly recommend you not drive one on the street as they are practically tin cans. If someone gets in a wreck in one without a cage in it, it won't be pretty. On the other hand if you plan on just using it as a racecar get a 99-04. Stay away from the 90-97 as they are turds and not competitive at all.

Ha, maybe that's why I suck in my 92.

Quote Originally Posted by AllZWay View Post

We are looking for her a first car... needs to be a 1 ton truck, but I guess we will settle for a civic, cobalt, corolla....etc.
    in the etc. I assume includes a 1970 Satellite or Galaxy

Actually we nudged Kyri and my daughter Chelsea towards Cobalts for their first cars. +30mpg (Kyri 31, Chelsea 34) and those cars proved tough and reliable. Wish they still made those cars...other than the stupid ignition switch recall I have seen nothing wrong with then in 6+ years.