Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1999 Chevy Camaro Z28 - American Iron Car potentially for sale

Senior Member Grass-Passer MikeP99Z's Avatar

1999 Chevy Camaro Z28 - American Iron Car potentially for sale

After 20 years of racing - I'm tired, feel beat up, and I'm just plain not motivated these days to wrench on it or any other car.

Minor damage from Atlanta including tie rod/spindle/wheel/alignment being repaired/replaced at the moment. Ball joints also being replaced. Car has a few rub marks on it and a slightly dinged hood. Windshield just got cracked from a rock, but I'll replace it after TWS for the buyer.

Motor has 1.5 seasons on it (HKE-built 363whp/368wtq detuned for running 9.25:1 with factory ABS). Trans just has Atlanta on it and has the 0.80 5th gear. Rearend ring/pinion has just Atlanta on it.

I'm essentially gauging interest in the sale, and am not completely set in parting ways with it, but I'm considering the sale of the car before I embark on completely redoing the front end for more aero / less weight and reengineering an 8.8 to replace the 10-bolt. I'm in no rush, it can sit in the garage.

The car would be available after TWS. Transponder and Texas Thunder group #8 not included. PM for details if you are serious. $35k - $39k depending on what you want regarding spares. Higher offers always considered =)

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Damn, you and James plotting to take over the world? Sorry to hear this.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Did Mitch hack your account?!

Why don't you uncork that sucker and come play in ST?! Misty is getting a new monster motor and mine is running right finally!

As for the rear end....I too will be looking for something soon. Misty's car will be making about 530 to the tire so the 10 bolt is likely going to give up the ghost in short order but I am going to try and make it live for now. We don't do standing starts so much less stress.
    Ah, fugg it.

Blog Entries
    Or sell the AI car and buy a CMC car and come race with us for way less money.

JJ

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    Keep it for a little while. I wanna see if I can keep up with you haha

Senior Member Grass-Passer MikeP99Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Suck fumes View Post
    Keep it for a little while. I wanna see if I can keep up with you haha
    You'd keep up just fine. I'd likely be chasing you. Kagan has the same setup in his Mustang (SN99 with a Coyote) and it is fast.

I'm also tired of the RR tire bill...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeP99Z View Post
    You'd keep up just fine. I'd likely be chasing you. Kagan has the same setup in his Mustang (SN99 with a Coyote) and it is fast.

I'm also tired of the RR tire bill...
    Can't we come up with some kind of answer for he tire issue? There are a lot of smart people that race in NASA. Someway there has to be an answer. Can NASA not put pressure on Toyo for a longer lasting tire?

JJ

At this point Maxxis looks pretty shiny. They give away free tires if you win.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    Can't we come up with some kind of answer for he tire issue? There are a lot of smart people that race in NASA. Someway there has to be an answer. Can NASA not put pressure on Toyo for a longer lasting tire?

JJ
    The R&D time required for a new longer lasting tire would likely take longer than we are willing to wait. I think one of NASA’s solution to this problem would be for us to go to the two race per weekend format. Half the races, half the tire expense. I don’t think anyone in our region wants that
    So what’s the solution? What if we all agree to go to RA1s only?

We could even take it further and limit the number of tires you can buy in one season. This would add another factor to the overall racing strategy. What tires to qualify with? How much do you shave the tires? Do you use the older tires for inverts? Should you plan race drops based on how your tires are holding up? Lots of different variables.

Now here’s the problem. Let’s say we have a six or seven race weekend season and we get three sets of tires and two backups for a total of fourteen tires. How do we police the number of tires each person gets? And how do you stop someone from using their rains when it kinda looked like it might rain during the race?

I think I just pissed off someone at Toyo

Just some thoughts

Anyone…?

Limiting tires would be very interesting and challenging! I like it!