Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Tire Issues

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty View Post
    I have no clue if the new surface at Hallett hates RR's or if something else crazy is going on.
    Could just be the hangovers from Friday and Saturday nights. Just guessing, and reflecting on the fact that Al got 4th place.
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    Track surface and weather play a big role in all that. Msr cresson used to always favor bald RA1's on the Miata but on the heavier cars it doesn't seem to matter as much. I think it's all situational based on weather more so than anything else.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    At TWS I ran 3 year old RA1's with who knows how many heat cycles and RR's with maybe 15 heat cycles. Don't think I saw a difference in times or felt any different.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    At TWS I ran 3 year old RA1's with who knows how many heat cycles and RR's with maybe 15 heat cycles. Don't think I saw a difference in times or felt any different.
    Was the track just so good it made no difference? If we were at Cresson I bet the difference would have been noticeable. TWS has good grip. MSRC does not.

JJ

Unless you guys are documenting tire temp data on both tires in the same conditions, all the speculation is pointless. Back when the 888 arrived we tested tire temps at cresson on my car. RA1 ran in the 150-175 range. 888 ran around 240 and felt greasy half way through the out lap. If the tire is being used beyond its designed heat range, no wonder they are cycling out. Until you test and optimize setup for the RR, you aren't going to get the performance out of the tire. If you get temp data and find you are running in the 230+ range, figure out how to get the temp under 190 and see how long the tire lasts. It may require a complete spring and shock swap.
    Ah, fugg it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AI#97 View Post
    Unless you guys are documenting tire temp data on both tires in the same conditions, all the speculation is pointless. Back when the 888 arrived we tested tire temps at cresson on my car. RA1 ran in the 150-175 range. 888 ran around 240 and felt greasy half way through the out lap. If the tire is being used beyond its designed heat range, no wonder they are cycling out. Until you test and optimize setup for the RR, you aren't going to get the performance out of the tire. If you get temp data and find you are running in the 230+ range, figure out how to get the temp under 190 and see how long the tire lasts. It may require a complete spring and shock swap.

Matt,

None of us are sure about anything on the RR's. The top Spec Miata guys are saying after five heat cycles don't expect to finish in the top five and after 10-11 H/C's throw them out. We have not tested or ran the tires long enough to know what they are going to do. We were expecting them to fall off bad after only a few heat cycles based on what we were told. So far it looks like that may not be the case with CMC. The RR's do look like they are going to last longer than a 4/32" RA1. I installed a new set of RR's at Hallett and TWS and they still look damn good. Michael did the same.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    I have a set of 20 H/C RR's and some 4 H/C RR's. I will run them back to back at ECR and provide my input to see the difference between basically "new" and "dead"... The 20 H/C RR's still look good from sighting the wear "hole" on the tire. They could easily go another 20 H/C's as far as rubber depth goes.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Quote Originally Posted by marshall_mosty View Post
    The 20 H/C RR's still look good from sighting the wear "hole" on the tire. They could easily go another 20 H/C's as far as rubber depth goes.
    Mine are the same way, wear is pretty good on these. I think I will take my 20+hc RRs and move them to my TNT wheels for messing around/backups
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Jerry, I know you already know this, but comparing a 2300# car with 100rwhp to a 3150# car with 260rwhp and a lot more torque is apples to oranges. Key in the fact miatas actually have mechanical grip and effectively have more tire on the ground per pound, there is just no way to use the data from them especially given they spend huge money for 2 hp advantages. Of course they hate tires that aren't fresh. Degradation that is acceptable to one driver is not going to be the same as another.

I had this discussion with someone today about how to maximize the RR's. It's the same thing that happened with the R888's where we were told by NASA upper MGMT and TOYO that we had to REALLY soften up the cars to make the tires work correctly. That's great and all, but it forces racers to test significantly more and maybe make wholesale changes to their cars thereby adding costs to the "budget" series. It only hurts the racers and widens the gap between the trophy girls and the mid pack slackers.

Look at your race group as a whole and I bet the guys who aren't complaining that much have fairly soft setups already....or test A LOT. If you are forced to run a softer spring setup, shock packages and correct valving are going to be KEY to car setup and being fast. If you wonder why McSpaddin and Wirtz were so fast, it's because they did a LOT of setup and testing to make the car work. That costs time and money. Did Toyo screw you guys? Of course. Can you fix the tire situation? not likely. Time to move on and do the testing to make it work again. Hate to use this saying because it came from "The Todd", but only worry about the things you can control to keep moving forward. Otherwise you are just banging you head against the wall or arguing with idiots.
    Ah, fugg it.