Thread: Tire Issues

Hybrid View

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mach1 View Post
    I've got 19HC on my RR's and they felt great at TWS, felt like crap at Hallett the event before (surface maybe).
    Anyone know when the next drop off is for the RR's? I'm worried about 19HC for ECR.
    Don't worry. Michael and I are in the same boat as you are. Maybe we were told a bunch of BS about the RR's. At TWS either the tires were still good or Michael would have ran a 1:53 if he was on RA1's. I bought two RA1's since I had Toyo Bucks that were going to expire. After TWS it looks like the RR is the better tire. Mine still look good with 17 H/C's on them.

JJ
    Last edited by ShadowBolt; 10-22-2014 at 12:26 PM.

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    Don't worry. Michael and I are in the same boat as you are. Maybe we were told a bunch of BS about the RR's. At TWS either the tires were still good or Michael would have ran a 1:53 if he was on RA1's. I bought two RA1's since I had Toyo Bucks that were going to expire. After TWS it looks like the RR is the better tire. Mine still look good with 17 H/C's on them.

JJ

JJ
    I can say I have no clue what the ideal situation is with the tires, RR's vs RA1. After Hallett I would have promised I would never buy RR's again. Now after TWS, like Tyler said I thought the RR's felt great!!
    At Hallett on near new RR's I was about 3/4 of a second off my times from the last 4 years there. At TWS, my best lap was over 1 second faster than I have ever gone going CCW. I have no clue how there can be this big a difference in feel. If you take out the wet sessions, my RR's now have 13 heat cycles on them. I'm going to run them at ECR and compare to the last few years lap times at ECR.

I did order 1 RR to use some Toyo Bucks from Hallett. The wear on the RR is better than the RA1 IMO. I have no clue if the new surface at Hallett hates RR's or if something else crazy is going on. Heck, I might run RA1's at Hallett and RR's at every other track.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Was the weather cooler than usual at TWS? Do you think it may have had an effect on lap times?

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    Track surface and weather play a big role in all that. Msr cresson used to always favor bald RA1's on the Miata but on the heavier cars it doesn't seem to matter as much. I think it's all situational based on weather more so than anything else.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    At TWS I ran 3 year old RA1's with who knows how many heat cycles and RR's with maybe 15 heat cycles. Don't think I saw a difference in times or felt any different.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    At TWS I ran 3 year old RA1's with who knows how many heat cycles and RR's with maybe 15 heat cycles. Don't think I saw a difference in times or felt any different.
    Was the track just so good it made no difference? If we were at Cresson I bet the difference would have been noticeable. TWS has good grip. MSRC does not.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Unless you guys are documenting tire temp data on both tires in the same conditions, all the speculation is pointless. Back when the 888 arrived we tested tire temps at cresson on my car. RA1 ran in the 150-175 range. 888 ran around 240 and felt greasy half way through the out lap. If the tire is being used beyond its designed heat range, no wonder they are cycling out. Until you test and optimize setup for the RR, you aren't going to get the performance out of the tire. If you get temp data and find you are running in the 230+ range, figure out how to get the temp under 190 and see how long the tire lasts. It may require a complete spring and shock swap.
    Ah, fugg it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty View Post
    I have no clue if the new surface at Hallett hates RR's or if something else crazy is going on.
    Could just be the hangovers from Friday and Saturday nights. Just guessing, and reflecting on the fact that Al got 4th place.
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.