Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tire Issues

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    One of the major issues I had with running Time Trials was the sticker hoosier problem. You want to win? You better bring sticker hoosier A6's every weekend. The tire situation last year was huge incentive for me to build and run in CMC (and w2w was the other). I'm glad that everyone is having this conversation, we will see how NASA handles it...
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by mach1 View Post
    I'm glad that everyone is having this conversation, we will see how NASA handles it...
    You are right about discussing this as soon as possible since the contract with Toyo is up at the end of 2015.

http://www.nasaproracing.com/2011/12...nue-as-th.html

Is there enough time to gather sufficient data showing tire "X" should be the new spec tire for the entire series?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I really don't care about an Outlaw class. I want to run CMC and if we can all agree to a tire I will be happy to go with the rest of you. I called Phil's Tire the other day to order two RA1's because I had $175.00 in TB's that were going to go out on 9-11 (and I hope to never order another RR again). The lady at first told me if I was running RA1's I could not qualify for Toyo Bucks. I told her she was wrong since the RA1 is our rain tire. She said she knows that she is right as far as AI in concerned. I could see Toyo changing this where we have to run the RR. I have been wanting to find a tire like the old RA1 for years. A slow race tire that is the same until it cords. Is there another tire like that today? If the Nito is the way to go I'm in.

JJ

I have had good luck with NT01's on my miata, but it may be the "old" Toyo formula, they were fast all the way to the cord.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Blog Entries
    I'd have no issue discarding my remaining Toyos and switching to Nitto in 2015. Sounds like they're the old RA1 everyone misses. Toyo owns Nitto?

My "old" knowledge of the RA1 was a part of why I joined CMC, the whole thin to win thing.

I once took some old RA1s and mounted them up on my 4dr 4cylinder automatic honda accord, had a couple of codrivers so I could get them nice and hot, then beat an e46 M3 and Wade in his Fox street car :P

I left autocross after a couple of seasons of only getting 30 "good" autocross runs out of $1300 sets of Hoosier A6s.

10 years of this crap with Toyo and NASA and you guys haven't figured out that NASA caves to Toyo pay off every time while NOT doing what the customers ask? Seriously. They don't care and have proven it time and again. You guys are basically experiencing the "drug dealer" marketing game where they suckered you in and have been cutting the goods and raising the price for each hit.

FACT: Toyo and Nitto are the same company and are NOT allowed to compete. NASA has told us this for years when we asked to go to NT-01....IE, they WILL NOT replace a Toyo with a Nitto. Done. Next.

BFG R1's.....good for 8-11 heat cycles then become dangerous. Nearly put misty in the wall at T1 high in April....no similar rain tire available unless you use a BFG Rival. Decent contingency if you have 7 cars. Cheaper than Hoosier and FAST! I am running these now on both cars. A good choice or better than RR? They run wide for their sizes and have some body clearance issues sometimes.

Hoosier A6/R6....GREAT for 2 cycles.....ok for 4 more....then easy 2 second drop and really done. Pray the tread doesn't separate and tear up your car. (has happened to me 3 times) Has a rain and same contingency as BFG.

Hankook....will never buy one again. 4 heat cycles and becomes a hockey puck, no similar rain tire. No contingency....but $200/ea in 275/40/17.

Goodyear....stopped making them, left the game.

Avon....need input.

Yokohama....limited sizes....start at $400/tire.

Michelin..... We aren't made of Money.

Maxxis....need more input.

Falken.... Azenis 615's.... Reasonable wear. Used to be cheap. Has tread as a rain tire. May make all the sizes we need.

Dunlop Direzzas....Good option but will require shaving and they tend to get greasy with horsepower.

BFG Rivals.....Love em. I'd expect 3 events on a set but they do heat cycle out. Reasonably cheap and good size selection. Don't shave for a rain tire...but they suck in the rain even on a subaru!

Continental Series Tire.....no wide 17's. Enduro tire with only 1 or 2 heat cycles. Must upgrade wheels. oh, and expensive.

Pirelli WC tires.....no wide 17's and expensive. Enduro tire with only 1 or 2 heat cycles

My Mustang is currently sitting on NT-01's. I love them like I loved the V1 RA1's. I was going to run them at NOLA to just screw around and save my good BFG's for TWS. I bought 12 a few years back for $175ea shipped to my door and it's taken 4 years to kill them off even with all the DE's we have done with BOTH cars. The NT-01 is THE SOLUTION, however, you will NEVER get NASA on board with it unless they bail on Toyo at end of contract....but even then, I think they are bound to NOT use the Nitto.

Use that info as you wish but I have either run everything listed or seen our instructors use them on their cars over the years. The high level descriptions should be a good start for moving on if you want to bail on the RR's. Also not sure if you have considered the TOYO full slick....or if it's even available.

Useful info?
    Ah, fugg it.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    Yah Toyo makes the RS1 slick but I've never tried it. I know nitto
    NT01's are good. Haven't tried the NT05 yet, but I would like to know more about Maxxis tires cause they actually give away free tires for contingency. I know they also make a lot of doughnut spare tires for Ford and Nissan now haha

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    I really don't care about an Outlaw class. I want to run CMC and if we can all agree to a tire I will be happy to go with the rest of you. I called Phil's Tire the other day to order two RA1's because I had $175.00 in TB's that were going to go out on 9-11 (and I hope to never order another RR again). The lady at first told me if I was running RA1's I could not qualify for Toyo Bucks. I told her she was wrong since the RA1 is our rain tire. She said she knows that she is right as far as AI in concerned. I could see Toyo changing this where we have to run the RR. I have been wanting to find a tire like the old RA1 for years. A slow race tire that is the same until it cords. Is there another tire like that today? If the Nito is the way to go I'm in.

JJ
    Rules state:
    7.31.3 Maximum tire size is 275/40R17 for all cars. TheToyo Proxes RR tire is allowed in a region after the 2nd race event weekend of that region. The Toyo Proxes RA1 is also allowed.

Francis and myself ran NT01's for the Enduro.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post

JJ
    So can we race running a different tire (NT01's) and just not have toyo bucks? Or will we be out of class and disqualified?