Thread: COTA Track Day

Junior Member Rookie

COTA Track Day

Hey, all. I got to spend yesterday racing around the full F1 circuit at COTA. First, the facility is outstanding. Crazy smooth and fine-grained asphalt coupled with so many elevation changes made it fun and highly technical. Second, the other traffic on the track was very impressive. I was pitted with Ferraris, McLarens, and Porsches and on-track we had everything from Radicals to a Benetton F1 car. Here are pics from the event: http://www.photomotiononline.com/liv...e=listSessions

I was there on Sept 27 in the white run group. I've ordered pics, but don't have the full-size images yet.

Here are two in-car videos from the event. I had camera issues but got the last two sessions while it was raining lightly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0Ny6u6aYIg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqqAdZ48y-c

My first two sessions were spent bedding-in my new Wilwoods, making sure the new RP steering was working properly, and learning the track. The third session I ran between 2:46 and 2:49, and in the last 2 sessions I switched to full-tread RA1s and ran 2:55-3:02 in light rain. Those aren't spectacular times, but I was careful around the other expensive machinery on the track and braked too short into 12 every time (damn blind crest!). I know I can easily get into the 2:30s with another day's practice, so I'm watching the calendar and practicing on the video games.

See you at TWS and we need to get a NASA race at COTA>
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Brian Cook
    AI #80 1970 Mustang
    Round Rock, TX
    “Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you.” ― Jeremy Clarkson

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    That track is easily my favorite in Texas! You go with edge addicts run by Trevor?

Junior Member Rookie
    Yes, they did a great job running the event! I'd definitely do another EA track day.
    Brian Cook
    AI #80 1970 Mustang
    Round Rock, TX
    “Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you.” ― Jeremy Clarkson

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    You can tell you are around uber expensive cars when the "pit box" consists of a box of blue shop rags and a Powerade...
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Junior Member Rookie
    ...and a box of donuts. Immediately to the right of the Powerade and out of the frame is my rolling crate of fluids and spares, tool boxes, air compressor, jacks, etc. The best packed group, though, were the Benetton F1 guys. 12 shiny tubs of meticulously packed parts and tools. That's the way to roll.
    Brian Cook
    AI #80 1970 Mustang
    Round Rock, TX