Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Thunder - 2014 Contact Issues

Senior Member Grass-Passer rleng1's Avatar
    It appears that you not have position and should back out. But that is just me. MPS.
    Randy English
    NASA Texas --> Rocky Mtn Region
    CMC #77 Camaro

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'll no longer debate who was at fault. Done deal. I got blamed so it really doesn't matter. Same as me and Al at TWS. I got screwed by a BS move. I worked my ass off to not hit Al for many a lap due to Al having a very poorly handling car (broken PHB mount) to finally make a nice clean pass to have that kind of BS given back. I would never cut down and brake check like that.

Bryan, I would have given you room to race had we been in opposite positions. I recall being told you didn't know I was there, so it really doesn't matter how far alongside I would have been, you were coming over.

As many have said, the 3/4 car width rule staying as is or changing will not really fix the mistakes, but it will allow fault to be assigned to someone when another driver has to bail to avoid contact when a right to the position was gained. 2 good things come from that, 1) a willingness to bail as that will at least give the position that was trying to be earned in a legal manner but was taken away in what I consider a non-gentlemanly way. 2) a change to make someone aware that they made an unfair move. Awareness if they didn't know someone was there.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by rleng1 View Post
    It appears that you not have position and should back out. But that is just me. MPS.
    Hard to say from that pic IMO, I've had the door shut on me many times and had to back out or go 2 off because of it, but I didn't have position either, close, but not quite.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    I had the thought last night that we could post a "Racing Etiquette" reminder sheet right next to the grid sheet every event.

And if there is a specfic concern at that track, i.e. Turn 6 at ECR, is there anything to stop us from having more strict enforcement there? As an example we tightened the rules at Hallett a couple of years ago because of the multiple regions.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    That's a great suggestion. I know when NASCAR raced at Watkins Glen, the announcers mentioned that the drivers all agreed not to attempt passes in the chicane (or maybe it was to go two wide through it, don't remember). Pretty sure I've seen other pro series drivers agree on stuff like this in the driver's meeting before the race as well.

I know there are places on certain tracks where I wouldn't attempt a pass, but just because I wouldn't do it doesn't mean everyone else would do the same.

Senior Member Grass-Passer rleng1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennCMC70 View Post
    I'll no longer debate who was at fault. Done deal. I got blamed so it really doesn't matter. Same as me and Al at TWS. I got screwed by a BS move. I worked my ass off to not hit Al for many a lap due to Al having a very poorly handling car (broken PHB mount) to finally make a nice clean pass to have that kind of BS given back. I would never cut down and brake check like that.

Bryan, I would have given you room to race had we been in opposite positions. I recall being told you didn't know I was there, so it really doesn't matter how far alongside I would have been, you were coming over.

As many have said, the 3/4 car width rule staying as is or changing will not really fix the mistakes, but it will allow fault to be assigned to someone when another driver has to bail to avoid contact when a right to the position was gained. 2 good things come from that, 1) a willingness to bail as that will at least give the position that was trying to be earned in a legal manner but was taken away in what I consider a non-gentlemanly way. 2) a change to make someone aware that they made an unfair move. Awareness if they didn't know someone was there.
    Agree with you Glenn. It is a race of give and take. And when to do what is an reaction. A very quick reaction where we do not always have time to do what needs to be done. It's racing and don't think you can eliminate the contact. Though maybe if we were driving $100k Porsches we might make passes a little differently.
    Randy English
    NASA Texas --> Rocky Mtn Region
    CMC #77 Camaro

It seems to me that the introduction of SI has caused a lot of issues. There are SI drivers that are faster than tail AI cars, and others that are slower than mid-CMC cars. Throwing them behind the AI pack seemed to make sense, but in reality it didn't work out too well several times.
    I think we either need to fully integrate them into AI (by qual time), or they need their own flag. As is, it's kindof like an inverted start for them each race.

Not a lot of chatter from AI guys. We've had our share of contact this year. I had my first ever contact this year, which was the result of frustration turned into bad judgement on my behalf (Cresson race 2).
    Jim Dulaney
    AI 117

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Sat morning I asked SI to take thier own green. The consensus was no. I encouraged them to do it and got pushback. The reason I asked them to do it was CMC had the same issues with AI prior to doing just that.
    It may become manditory in 2015.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennCMC70 View Post
    Sat morning I asked SI to take thier own green. The consensus was no. I encouraged them to do it and got pushback. The reason I asked them to do it was CMC had the same issues with AI prior to doing just that.
    It may become manditory in 2015.
    My green to checker times at ECR, I wonder what another green would do to these (-1m?)
    R1 14m
    R2 10m
    R3 12m
    R4 12m
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rsmith350's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rleng1 View Post
    Isn't this the whole point of the debate though. If the rule were different Glenn never would have attempted this move, would not have been forced to bail to the right which resulted in a loss of traction and consequently the shot over to the left and MORE damage. Why would you have a rule that forces you to race in the dirt? This is not rally cross! You're inviting more incidents by encouraging "hail mary" moves. Maybe more penalties for forcing people into the dirt?

For the record can we all agree that the spelling is "patience" not "patients"? Autocorrect can't save you there
    " Racing makes crack addiction look like a mild craving for something salty"