Thread: 2015 Annual Tech Items

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar

2015 Annual Tech Items

2015 Annual Tech Items..
    Annual Items
    - NASA Membership
    - Competition License

Items that expire
    Window Nets – 5 years. Good until the end of the month at the 5 year mark from what was punched at the OEM
    Belts – 2 years for SFI. Good until the end of the month at the 2 year mark from what was punched at the OEM. Remember to send in your belts for inspection after a significant crash where you think it might have stretched.
    Belts – 5 years for FIA. Good until the 31-Dec of the year indicated on the belt tag. Remember to send in your belts for inspection after a significant crash where you think it might have stretched.
    Helmets – 10 year “life”. SA2005 or SA2010 only. SA2015’s will be available approx. October, 2015. Remember to send in your helmet for inspection after a significant crash where you think it might have contacted the rollcage (above and beyond typicals “bumps”).

Other Items
    SFI 38.1 (Head and Neck Restraint) - If your unit requires recertification, make sure you take care of that. Same goes for inspection after a crash (see above).
    Suit, Underwear, Socks, Shoes, Gloves - Keep these in good working order. If you get any holes, either have them repaired with Kevlar thread (suits, gloves, balaclava), or a fire retardant glue (shoes). When in doubt, replace. Remember to launder your suit according to the tag on the inside of the suit. Some suits can go thru the normal laundry (lower end type), but the “top tier” suits are dry clean only. Plus, you don’t want to stink like an old high school locker room, right??

Car Items that will be reviewed by annual tech.
    This isn’t an all inclusive list, but just what I’ve caught folks on in the past.
    1. Rollbar padding - NO pool noodle stuff (that means you too Todd…). This was discussed at naseum approx. 2009. No gimmies. Anywhere your flailing body (hands, feet, head) can contact needs to be covered. Err on the side of caution here guys. I don’t want to be an “a” hole and keep anyone off the track. There will be ZERO tolerance on this… That means you Todd…
    2. Hot terminals on kill switches, batteries need to be covered. Radiator hose, silicone, etc can be used.
    3. Holes in the firewall need to be plugged. In a pinch, use aluminum tape, but an aluminum or steel patch riveted around the hole is preferred.
    4. All fluids in the passenger compartment (except cool suits and drink bottles) need to be metallic line or a braided steel line. Accusumps, fuel lines, brake line fall in this category.
    5. Fire bottle needs to be charged with the handle in close proximity so you can pull it while fully belted in the driver’s seat. If you have a hand extinguisher, same goes…
    6. Fuel Cell - If you have one, I need to see the paperwork PRIOR to you getting your sticker. I won’t physically inspect the bladder to ensure it matches the paperwork. Just don’t forget it “at the shop”… That won’t fly. Fire is bad and I take it VERY seriously. No tolerance on this one either.
    7. Seat - FIA seats are fine without a back brace if they are under 5 years old. You need to ensure the FIA tag and mfg date are visible. Otherwise, you need a seat back brace. A note on the seatback brace. The idea is for that brace to spread the load in an inpact, no impail you thru the spine. A larger plate attaching to the seat itself is preferred.
    8. Halo seat or right side net - Make sure that you have one or the other. To my knowledge, the right side net does NOT expire. The one I have doesn’t have a date on it.
    9.Engine Compartment stuff
    a. Battery secured in a battery box (marine type preferred. However, the battery needs to be attached THRU the box and attached to the chassis.
    b. Hood pins… We need to be compliant on this one this year…
    10. Tow Hook – This one won’t keep you off track, but if you are dumb enough to not have them, don’t get pissed when the EV’s rip your suspension apart hooking to whatever they can find…
    11. Driveshaft loop - Make sure you have one.. We don’t want any pole-vaulting cars.. Looks like if you have a welded in x-pipe, or torque arm brace, you are okay.

First time inspection that need a log book are $20.
    Annual inspections that just need a sticker are $10.
    Last edited by cjlmlml; 12-29-2014 at 12:11 PM.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    If you want to keep the pool noodle stuff, be sure and put the skinny dense rated padding on the inside. I personally like the idea of the squishy pool noodle on the door bars and have the skinny dense padding underneath it.

Also, why do we need to driveshaft loop??? I thought Mythbusters proved the pole-vault to be near impossible years back. ;^)
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty View Post
    Also, why do we need to driveshaft loop??? I thought Mythbusters proved the pole-vault to be near impossible years back. ;^)
    http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/my...to-pole-vault/
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    David Donovan has an email from John Lindsay stating loop not required if your h or x pipe would retain the forward end of the ds.
    Ah, fugg it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    ...because Mythbusters is the epitomy of scientific truth.
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Class rules over rule CCR's.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Optimas don't need a box, ran into this last year.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Huh?
    "With the Fury moving at 15 miles (24 kilometers) per hour, the drive shaft stuck in the pothole as planned, but only the back part of the car lifted off the ground"
    I don't see how 15mph qualifies as an appropriate test case...unless the Fury was a matchbox car maybe?

I guess it is not necessarily the pole vaulting they are concerned about, more it spearing through the gas tank???
    -Michael Mosty
    Director - TX Region

Quote Originally Posted by AI#97 View Post
    David Donovan has an email from John Lindsay stating loop not required if your h or x pipe would retain the forward end of the ds.
    That makes sense. When installing my new X-pipe, the "X" is right where my d/s loop is so I will need to relocate the d/s loop just to put the exhaust in. Or, I think I'll just shorten the d/s loop. What fun!!
    -Michael Mosty
    Director - TX Region