Thread: LS Motor guru's....oil pressure sending unit question.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby

LS Motor guru's....oil pressure sending unit question.

I am in the process of dropping Misty's new motor in the car and I am going to reconfigure a bunch of poorly done oil/water temp sensor installations as well as oil pressure gauge. We are going to use her original 99 SS ECU and the painless harness. My question is, do I have to have the factory oil pressure sending unit plugged in for the ECU? If not, I want to use that port for the oil pressure gauge on the dash and simplify a bunch of plumbing.

Thanks!.
    Ah, fugg it.

Senior Member Grass-Passer rleng1's Avatar
    Merry Christmas Matt and Misty. On my 2000 LS1, it has the oem oil pressure sending unit installed,but is not plugged into anything. It is a weak point as it broke off on me at NOLA 3 years ago. Some say to just plough it off. But putting an aftermarket oil pressure sending unit should work fine.
    Randy English
    NASA Texas --> Rocky Mtn Region
    CMC #77 Camaro

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by rleng1 View Post
    Merry Christmas Matt and Misty. On my 2000 LS1, it has the oem oil pressure sending unit installed,but is not plugged into anything. It is a weak point as it broke off on me at NOLA 3 years ago. Some say to just plough it off. But putting an aftermarket oil pressure sending unit should work fine.
    Thanks Randy....now the hard part of finding an M16x1.5 to -4AN adapter....or 3 fittings to make that!
    Ah, fugg it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    So the LS1 doesn't require it to run? I know some Chebbies have a circuit that kills the motor as soon as it starts if there's no oil pressure. Worst case, you'd have to bypass it. Or is that another sensor altogether?