Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Problem filling stock tank?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post
    From what I gather at this point, I'm running into a combination of three issues; I have a 1/2" hose going down low out of the tank, and the final outlet of the vent sits below the the top of the tank where the vent hose starts; additionally the 1/2" hose starts off from both 5/16 and 3/8 vent fittings tee-d together, which is a no-no.

It seems like the 1/2" hose is pooling up and not allowing any fuel in fluid form to not get sucked back in when the tank cools off, and the output being down low initiates a siphon effect.

The correct way would be to ditch all that, cap the 5/16" port, run a long 3/8" hose up high and make sure the outlet is up high (like your setup).

The other solution would be to acquire and install all the stock EVAP hardware, but I was missing all of that from day 1, built the car from parts...

I would still recommend not running an electric solenoid (what's the short/arc protection internally in the solenoid?), but instead just have a simple ball valve you can flip when you store the car...

My car has the stock check valve, vented to the atmosphere with a standard gas cap. Haven't had any issues.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Plugged the 5/16" outlet as recommended, ran what felt like 20ft of 3/8" hose looped up a million times, and ended it up high above both the tank and the filler neck to avoid a siphon effect.

I think I've done enough, this better work.
    Last edited by Pranav; 04-05-2015 at 11:23 PM.