Thread: Friendly FYI for those who own 99-07 or so GM 4x4 trucks.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Friendly FYI for those who own 99-07 or so GM 4x4 trucks.

If you own one of these 1/2 to 1 ton trucks and it is 4x4, research "transfer case pump rub".
    It is a known issue where the oil pump rubs a hole in the case. Once it happens, the case oil drains while driving. Burns the case up. It can be prevented and is an easy fix.

My case started making niose coming back from AZ after the New Year. Started west of Abilene. At that point it was trashed.
    Spent over a week looking for a used unit. Plan on paying $1100 plus for one if you can find one local. Cores are $600 plus. I just dropped $1700 plus for one today. OEM reman.
    Parts to rebuild mine totalled $1400.
    My 2500HD has the same one as a 3500 truck. Not plentiful and parts are higher.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Wade's Avatar
    Same T Case and issue on diesels? (Duramax)? How many miles did you have? Mine is pushing 175K....
    '86 Mustang Coupe - CMC2 34

Blog Entries
    Yes, same issue. Mine was just over 175k.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Any luck with that LKQ contact I gave you?
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Blog Entries
    Didn't try. I had called them before you gave me a name. Didn't want to do business with them after a quote as high as they gave. Well north of double. Almost triple.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    On my old 98 heavy half there is a snap ring that sometimes causes problems and I installed a screw-in metal collar in place of it.

http://www.sonnax.com/parts/1697

For the newer trucks, you want Sonnax 100246-02K.

http://www.sonnax.com/parts/1694

The fixes are pretty simple if you already happen to have the case out and split wide open because you just swapped your 4L60 for a 4L80 and need to swap the input shaft on the t-case anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennCMC70 View Post
    Didn't try. I had called them before you gave me a name. Didn't want to do business with them after a quote as high as they gave. Well north of double. Almost triple.
    Call DJ...he may be able to help. Certainly worth a 10 minute call. Tell him Tyler sent you. He may even have another source avail for you.
    Ah, fugg it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    A friend with a 2500 Duramax 4x4 had a similar problem except the chain that transfers from the main shaft to the front drive shaft developed slack and rubbed against the lower case housing until it wore a hole through it. Of course all the oil drained and ruined the t-case. This also happened while driving back from out west along I-10. I don't know his mileage at the time but it was in the high 100K range. His solution was a reman from GM which he installed himself.
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Liebbe View Post
    A friend with a 2500 Duramax 4x4 had a similar problem except the chain that transfers from the main shaft to the front drive shaft developed slack and rubbed against the lower case housing until it wore a hole through it. Of course all the oil drained and ruined the t-case. This also happened while driving back from out west along I-10. I don't know his mileage at the time but it was in the high 100K range. His solution was a reman from GM which he installed himself.
    I had that happen on an old Tcase on an 88 ram charger. chain got slack and slapped the case and cracked it...fluid leaked out and burned up the Tcase. sold the truck and washed my hands of it.
    Ah, fugg it.

Senior Member Site AdminGrass-Passer cjlmlml's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AI#97 View Post
    I had that happen on an old Tcase on an 88 ram charger. chain got slack and slapped the case and cracked it...fluid leaked out and burned up the Tcase. sold the truck and washed my hands of it.

Ahh, the 1 percenter's solution
    AI # 12