Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Blew another motor

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    I was just using Torque for android with a bluetooth adapter; I could see both O2s bouncing up/down the .1-.9v range as they should

At idle the short tem trims seemed fine but after flipping the master switch for a while and starting it up, i could see the long term climb up; i left grid for the last race with it at 10% and came back to observer it being 20.something and having the intermittent odd idle.

Also the peg mark is 25%, after which you would get a lean code. I had no codes besides the emissions stuff.

What laptop software do you have? looks like I need to get a obd cable for hte laptop and some real software, but dont want to pay hundreds of dollars for HPTuners or whatever else.
    Last edited by Pranav; 04-27-2015 at 03:50 PM.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    I have EFILive on my truck and it pegged at 20% IIRC. Mine has a 411 PCM from an LS based truck and I flashed a different operating system to it to run my old school gen 1 small block. If you can view your data like this, it'll be easy to spot. Without this view, I was clueless. I previously only viewed data in maps which just averaged everything out.

Blog Entries
    Nice, yeah I just ordered an ELM327 cable, I'll try my hand at one of the free tools out there, I think this would be neat to have long term.

I can definitely confirm on the LT1 PCM the max is 25% after which the lean code would be triggered.

Also my bluetooth logger only logged GPS data so I have nothing in regards to on track data for now

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post
    Nice, yeah I just ordered an ELM327 cable, I'll try my hand at one of the free tools out there, I think this would be neat to have long term.

I can definitely confirm on the LT1 PCM the max is 25% after which the lean code would be triggered.

Also my bluetooth logger only logged GPS data so I have nothing in regards to on track data for now

All this craziness is a competitive advantage for the GM's... When the Ford system messes up, all we get to do is guess what's going on.. Sure wish I would have been able to datalog my motor during R3. I have NO clue why it changed the exhaust note or went to 15:1 A/F... All I know is the car is now dead in the water with no sign of life anytime soon...
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Blog Entries
    There is no GM advantage here, I'm just taking advantage of having an OBD2 computer in my car. Can't image doing this in anything older....

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post
    There is no GM advantage here, I'm just taking advantage of having an OBD2 computer in my car. Can't image doing this in anything older....
    I agree. This isn't a Ford vs. Chevy thing. This is a model year technology thing. If you took your antique pushrod based 331 Ford and swapped it for a newer/better 4.6 you would have all of this data available. There is a small issue of displacement, horsepower, and CG height, a bit bigger issue of torque, and of course the absurd physical size thing that make working on it a nightmare. And there is a small selection of (extremely expensive) parts to help tweak some of those drawbacks a little bit. But newer is better.

Of course, if you have a Chevy, newer gets you the data, the displacement, the horsepower and the torque, without the drawbacks of size and CG. And a much bigger selection of parts to get to where you want. Too bad putting a Chevy in a Ford is an abomination that can never be allowed to exist (except for pretty much everywhere, outside of AI).

Richard P.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
    I agree. This isn't a Ford vs. Chevy thing. This is a model year technology thing. If you took your antique pushrod based 331 Ford and swapped it for a newer/better 4.6 you would have all of this data available. There is a small issue of displacement, horsepower, and CG height, a bit bigger issue of torque, and of course the absurd physical size thing that make working on it a nightmare. And there is a small selection of (extremely expensive) parts to help tweak some of those drawbacks a little bit. But newer is better.

Of course, if you have a Chevy, newer gets you the data, the displacement, the horsepower and the torque, without the drawbacks of size and CG. And a much bigger selection of parts to get to where you want. Too bad putting a Chevy in a Ford is an abomination that can never be allowed to exist (except for pretty much everywhere, outside of AI).

Richard P.
    I have a hard time believing a small block ford can't make the power? Surely there are a decent set of heads/cam available? Doesn't Frank have a 347 that makes the power? The Ford 5.0 was the most hot rodded platform of the last 25 years so I just don't get that there isn't an option other than putting in a chevy?
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    The Ford 5.0 was the most hot rodded platform of the last 25 years so I just don't get that there isn't a durable, relatively inexpensive, and available option other than putting in a chevy?
    Fixed it for you.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

So I can put a standalone system on my fox now?
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mach1 View Post
    So I can put a standalone system on my fox now?
    Yes; in AI. Hate to see you go... thanks for the help this weekend.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!