Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jugs and Rack dimensions wanted

Senior Member Grass-Passer Alien's Avatar

Jugs and Rack dimensions wanted

Not what you're thinking.

I'm getting a tonneau cover for the new truck, and my fuel jugs just barely won't fit under it. Who's got the shortest jugs that are worth a darn? Mine suck anyways as they dribble when pouring. And also since I've lost a foot and a half of bed length vs the old truck, I now have more motivations to build a tire rack for the trailer. One common thing I've seen is people regret only being able to fit seven, SEVEN!, tires on the rack. I've got a set of 275 Hoosiers on 9.5" wheels, and with my rough measurements I'm gussing I'll need about 92" clear space on the rack to fit 8 tires.

1. What brand fuel jugs do you have and what height are they?

2. What is the stacked height of 8 (or any number really) 275 RR's? Also would be nice to know what width wheel you're using.

TIA

*edit* Really odd, but I couldn't post this in the Fabrication forum without approval
    - Gary R.
    '86 Camaro Z28 "KNOCKER"

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alien View Post
    Not what you're thinking.

I'm getting a tonneau cover for the new truck, and my fuel jugs just barely won't fit under it. Who's got the shortest jugs that are worth a darn? Mine suck anyways as they dribble when pouring. And also since I've lost a foot and a half of bed length vs the old truck, I now have more motivations to build a tire rack for the trailer. One common thing I've seen is people regret only being able to fit seven, SEVEN!, tires on the rack. I've got a set of 275 Hoosiers on 9.5" wheels, and with my rough measurements I'm gussing I'll need about 92" clear space on the rack to fit 8 tires.

1. What brand fuel jugs do you have and what height are they?

2. What is the stacked height of 8 (or any number really) 275 RR's? Also would be nice to know what width wheel you're using.

TIA

*edit* Really odd, but I couldn't post this in the Fabrication forum without approval

Gary,
    I don't have measurements, but I can fit six 275/17 and two 205/15 trailer spares across my trailer. Not sure on the fuel jugs.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Grass-Passer Alien's Avatar
    To clarify, I was looking to fit 8 275 tires.

Seems most open trailers are between 80" and 83" between the fenders. Majority of tire racks are designed to attatch on top of or to the side of the trailer with legs that go straight up to form the ends. It's a simple design change, tho it puts it close to the max legal overall width (depending on the state). Just don't want to build it and end up being an inch or two short.

- Gary R.
    '86 Camaro Z28 "KNOCKER"

Looks like I'm going to have a trailer issue. The Can Am car has a 83" track width rim to rim

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trublu View Post
    Looks like I'm going to have a trailer issue. The Can Am car has a 83" track width rim to rim
    Tilt it like the offshore racing boat trailers.

http://thunderoncocoabeach.com/stihl...n-cocoa-beach/

Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    Similar to mine. With the toolbox on it, I can strap a fuel jug into each of the front corners. There is also a winch receiver under the toolbox now.

Ignore the car - that became a donor car due to a bent tub.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rob Liebbe; 03-05-2015 at 03:17 PM.
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    I don't have measurements, but mine is similar to that setup. I did weld a 2 inch high box in the corners to hold the fuel jugs.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Get an enclosed and build risers up and over the wheel wells. If they are tall enough, it makes it a breeze to strap it down AND you can store stuff under them.
    Ah, fugg it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    I think that's about the same track width they are planning to allow the Fords to use in CMC next year to make sure every Ford can win a trophy.

Think we talked about this because I thought you could just get some narrower tires-or your just going to build a narrow trailer like a drag boat to get it on the trailer. Just need to ask the old Can Am guys what they did back then.

Gary-I'll see about measuring them.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    I think that's about the same track width they are planning to allow the Fords to use in CMC next year to make sure every Ford can win a trophy.

I think someone is obsessed.
    JJ