Thread: When to replace Stoptech rotors

Hybrid View

Thanks for the info guy's sounds like better metal is worth it. Do you have a limit to run the pads to keep from hurting the rotors?

Dennis
    Last edited by dtanker65; 03-23-2015 at 03:41 PM.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dtanker65 View Post
    Thanks for the info guy's sounds like better metal is worth it. Do you have a limit to run the pads to keep from hurting the rotors?

Dennis
    I run them down to about 1/8" thick.

JJ

Senior Member Grass-Passer Casey_SS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    I run them down to about 1/8" thick.
    Same here. On the Stoptech pad shape, there's a vertical split down the center of the pad. When it wears to the point the split is no longer visible, there's exactly 1/8" of material left and I try to stay at or above that point. Hurting the rotor is a mild concern but the bigger one for me is the increased heat transfer through the pads to the calipers and fluid. Nothing dramatic really happens, I've just noticed the pedal feel and braking performance get more inconsistent when the pads are too thin. It's still drive-able but it's not confidence inspiring.

The other issue is they wear MUCH faster at the end of their life than the beginning...it can be tough to gauge. I went out for a race once (ECR...of course) with what I thought was enough pad for 2 races and came back in on the backing plates, shooting sparks from what I was told. Car didn't stop so good and it smelled kinda funny but some fresh pads and a quick bleed later and everything was fine. Stoptech makes a pretty tough set of brakes.
    2012 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #29

Thanks Casey. I have a friend with a Bondurant S95 car and he said the Stoptech's dropped seconds off of his lap times. Are you going to TWS?

Dennis

Senior Member Grass-Passer Casey_SS's Avatar
    Yes, I'll be at TWS.
    2012 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #29

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    B
    Quote Originally Posted by dtanker65 View Post
    Thanks Casey. I have a friend with a Bondurant S95 car and he said the Stoptech's dropped seconds off of his lap times. Are you going to TWS?

Dennis
    If that is true he had bad brakes in the first place. Stoptech' feel great but they will not take seconds off you lap times.

JJ

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    B

If that is true he had bad brakes in the first place. Stoptech' feel great but they will not take seconds off you lap times.

JJ
    I think it was a big brake upgrade from stock. I have Stoptech rotors on order. I did notice the Stoptech rotors are left/right specific as opposed to the stock replacements. Hopefully the vane design will generate low pressure at the inlets. I have debated trying to make a soft seal between the cooling duct backing plate and the rotor to increase the air pressure at the inlets, but I am not sure what the airflow pattern through rotor looks like or how much excess air flow bypassing the rotor inlets to the caliper/pads is good.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I feel I was faster on OEM brakes.