Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where do you guys get your fire system bits?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar

Where do you guys get your fire system bits?

My car has a system, but only 1 nozzle aimed at me. I need to add one under the hood, but don't know the best place to get the stuff. I found a Safecraft 54-1416 3 way nozzle and a 10 foot coil of line on Summit, but I'm thinking generic line and hardware is probably a smarter way to do it. That Safecraft nozzle looks the same as the one that points at me. Should I maybe have a 2 way pointed at me so it takes longer to suffocate as I attempt to egress an engulfed car? Change over and do 2 nozzles under the hood, one aimed at each manifold? I'm also unsure of the threads on that Safecraft nozzle, if they're AN or what. Install should be quick and easy, it's just a matter of deciding what to do and what parts to do it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    I have the small Firecharger AFFF system, two nozzles in the engine bay and one at my right knee: https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/2015/030.pdf

I carry a spare CO2 and refill with me.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

The AFFF stuff looks really tempting, but I just need to replumb what I currently have. I like the fact that it doesn't steal your oxygen and is track-refillable though. How many holes do your discharge nozzles have?

Smileys stocks the Firecharger bits and sells the system. I installed the two nozzle system, one in front of the shifter spraying on me and one on the motor. I gathered research from racers and firefighters before I installed it, the consensus was that engine compartment fires are most common and there is not enough suppressant in any of the systems to deal with a ruptured fuel cell burning. The firefighters said covering the driver without blinding him is the most important design element. The only downside of the Firecharger is that it freezes easily and ruptures the blowout disc causing the nozzle to dribble. The manufacturer has been tip top providing replacement discs at no charge. I carry a hand held extinguisher as well since grass fires are a consideration here and I want to be able to help another driver just in case.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    I have a full OMP system that's been sitting in the garage since 2012; I'm hoping I FINALLY get to install it prior to TWS.

It comes with many nozzles, but the more nozzles I install, the more diluted the spray will be.

I was thinking one facing back towards me (like Francis' knee setup), one up high pointing down from from behind left of my helmet, and one for each side of the fuel rail..

I'll post a pic of how it is now when I get home, what's the ideal trajectory for the driver? Pointed at the nutsack? I've heard at the face is a bad idea as it's not only blinding, but suffocates you that much worse.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    I have an ESS system with two nozzles under hood pointing at each side on the motor, one pointing behind the seat at the fuel tank and one at my knee area under dash.
    “A man with no enemies is a man with no character.”
    ― Paul Newman

So kind of pointing downhill at you? Or straight shot at your belt line? Mine is on the trans tunnel now spraying me from the side. How many holes are your nozzles? I see the FC-106 on Smiley's site and I'm wondering what its pattern is and if it'll spray slower than the 3 way in my car. I think I'll give 'em a call.

Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    I'll post a pic of how it is now when I get home, what's the ideal trajectory for the driver? Pointed at the nutsack? I've heard at the face is a bad idea as it's not only blinding, but suffocates you that much worse.
    Smileys should have what you need. Or maybe Pegasus.
    We have one nozzle center dash low pointing across the waist area and another mounted to the roll cage high on the passenger side that points down across the passenger area towards the right side of the driver. We also have one mid-roll cage pointing back towards the tank and we have three in the engine bay (one on each side of the engine and one mid-firewall pointing across the engine. The idea being to create blankets of AFFF on the driver and btw the driver and sources of fire front and back.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Suck fumes View Post
    I have an ESS system with two nozzles under hood pointing at each side on the motor, one pointing behind the seat at the fuel tank and one at my knee area under dash.
    It appears that I have an identical system 5L AES AFFF. Four nozzles. The only difference is my fuel tank nozzle is under the car, in front of the tank, facing the tank.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...