Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where do you guys get your fire system bits?

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    Yah and they make a HUGE mess when then go off haha. Takes foreveeeeer to clean up.
    “A man with no enemies is a man with no character.”
    ― Paul Newman

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Suck fumes View Post
    Yah and they make a HUGE mess when then go off haha. Takes foreveeeeer to clean up.
    Been there, done that. Smells like a swimming pool. Forgot unscrew the CO2 canister before trying to hookup a new pull cable. Once you hear the gurgle/spewing noises, it's 2 seconds to foamy mess.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Grass-Passer Alien's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dtanker65 View Post
    I carry a hand held extinguisher as well since grass fires are a consideration here and I want to be able to help another driver just in case.
    ^^^^ This.
    I think a grass fire has more probability of happening to any of us. Would be a shame for a car to go up in flames due to a small grass fire from hot exhaust.

When I was codriving the rally car with Costas, we went off at an T intersection and got stuck in the grass/mud. As we were sitting there, another car that went off quite a bit off deeper than us called over very calmly, "Your car's on fire." I hopped out, a quick squirt under the car, no more flames. We were required to carry two extinguishers, one had to be handheld, glad we did.
    - Gary R.
    '86 Camaro Z28 "KNOCKER"

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    I consider it, because not only is a fire extinguisher in a decent spot for ballast, it can also keep a car alive while waiting for the safety truck to arrive. Priority #1 is keeping me alive, priority #2 is keeping the car alive to see another race. I'm slow to move, been worrying more about chassis setup and dyno #'s at this point. Between that and the coolsuit cooler, I think I'd make 3250# with no ballast.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    How much do you weigh? I'm just at 3265ish post race with 25lbs ballast with no fire system and cool suit yet, I weight about 178-182, currently on a 3250 dyno sticker

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post
    How much do you weigh? I'm just at 3265ish post race with 25lbs ballast with no fire system and cool suit yet, I weight about 178-182, currently on a 3250 dyno sticker
    I always go for the 3250 sticker, though close to the end of last year I was getting a bit porky, I weighed in at 3290# post race however I've been running a 45# plate. Last year I added a glove box door and changed over to stock style rear springs which added a noticeable amount of weight. Though some of it is reciprocating, it is still in a good place. If I ever get off my ass to build the cool suit cooler that I posess ( WILL happen before Hallett), I can likely run entirely without ballast and make my 3250#. The driver is also not as light as he used to be, currently 195# of pure American beef. :shock:

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Yeah when I started my CMC build I was just over 190 and min weight was 3200; now I'm dropping below 180 and min weight is 3250. Gotta love progress...