Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: New engine!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    I'll let Glenn chime in, but there should be a clear downturn on both HP and TQ curves. It appears that your HP curve was still going up.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall_mosty View Post
    I'll let Glenn chime in, but there should be a clear downturn on both HP and TQ curves. It appears that your HP curve was still going up.
    I stood back and watched and let the Dino guy do his work he told me that he's looking for Peak horse power and peak torque and that is what he told me he did so if you cut it off early I really wasn't paying attention. He told me what the numbers were, I added the exhaust restrictor to pull the horsepower and torque down to legal limits. If it's a problem I will be glad to go back down and do another Dyno I just don't have time before this race. This is a 2005 5.3 L truck motor to the best of my ability it's completely stock I did not change the cam out. So just let me know what you all want me to do.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    I know in the Corvettes, when the LS1 received the LS6 intake in 2001 it also changed over to the truck cam. If the F body followed suit, and I imagine it did, then the truck cam should be OK.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Sean-no need for you go back to the dyno. Your car isn't going to make anymore hp than what it did. It isn't a 4.6 that wraps to 6k or the 5.0 that I see people shifting and pulling to 6k. The LS1 hits it's max hp at 5,200 on a dyno but I bet you find yourself shifting at 5,000 since it isn't pulling anymore. Your curve looks identical to several different LS dyno's I have and the LT1 dyno that I also have. I have never understood why so many think the LS just kills the LT1. Both myself and Al F. have overlayed the dyno's and there is negligible difference. The torque curve of the LT is better but the LS does edge out the LT by about 5 rwhp if you run them up to 5,700. Now the LS trumps the LT in my book since it doesn't have an opti and rarely has issues running.

Kudos to Sean for performing the swap and getting the legal dyno done in time for the race.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    Sean-no need for you go back to the dyno. Your car isn't going to make anymore hp than what it did. It isn't a 4.6 that wraps to 6k or the 5.0 that I see people shifting and pulling to 6k. The LS1 hits it's max hp at 5,200 on a dyno but I bet you find yourself shifting at 5,000 since it isn't pulling anymore. Your curve looks identical to several different LS dyno's I have and the LT1 dyno that I also have. I have never understood why so many think the LS just kills the LT1. Both myself and Al F. have overlayed the dyno's and there is negligible difference. The torque curve of the LT is better but the LS does edge out the LT by about 5 rwhp if you run them up to 5,700. Now the LS trumps the LT in my book since it doesn't have an opti and rarely has issues running.

Kudos to Sean for performing the swap and getting the legal dyno done in time for the race.
    That is so funny Bryan and what a coincidence, my max HP is at 5,200 RPM also. I'll have to get my dyno graph posted and we can compare. ;^)
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Thanks Brian I appreciate that :-) I did the best I can to follow the rules and not screw something up but it's nice to have everybody watching to make sure everything is legal. I would much rather be legal and have fun then do something illegal and worry about getting caught.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    I'll let you know if I think it's legal sometime at the Saturday driver's meeting after Q1.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    The LS1 hits it's max hp at 5,200 on a dyno but I bet you find yourself shifting at 5,000 since it isn't pulling anymore.
    If you shift right at the hp peak, you're not accelerating as quickly as you could by going past especially when that motor doesn't just fall on its face right after peak. You might lose 15hp by revving past peak, but you'll lose 30 and the torque multiplication of a lower gear by upshifting.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty View Post
    That is so funny Bryan and what a coincidence, my max HP is at 5,200 RPM also. I'll have to get my dyno graph posted and we can compare. ;^)
    Same here, but my torque down low is no where near the chevy motors
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    Once you hit 3rd gear the mustangs are faster and have more top end. Assuming your motor isn't a turd.

We barely ever use 2nd gear at any track to make the low end torque an adv for anyone.
    “A man with no enemies is a man with no character.”
    ― Paul Newman