Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Crime and Punishment - The Double Yellow

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennCMC70 View Post
    Chris read the rule to me involving re-starts from a double yellow and it read that ra ing would resume at the next station not displaying a yellow. That would be the start/finish stand. That station was waiving the checkered. Once you cross the start/finish you can rume racing, but the checkered ended the race.
    I don't think single and double yellows have the same rules.
    Exactly, a single yellow and double yellow have completely different restart rules.
    Had this been a single yellow situation at T13 and a checker at S/F, it would have been game on racing.
    With a double yellow, the restart is at the green flag or at the next station not displaying a yellow. Since S/F had a checker flag the race is over since the racing wouldn't have been able to resume until After the station. Any racing prior to S/F was prohibited.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty View Post
    Exactly, a single yellow and double yellow have completely different restart rules.
    Had this been a single yellow situation at T13 and a checker at S/F, it would have been game on racing.
    With a double yellow, the restart is at the green flag or at the next station not displaying a yellow. Since S/F had a checker flag the race is over since the racing wouldn't have been able to resume until After the station. Any racing prior to S/F was prohibited.
    Actually, that makes no sense. I think I see what you are saying but in that instance, a yellow should have been displayed with the checker. If S/F had a green flag showing...which a checker is merely a "special" green flag, I guarantee you people would be passing LONG before start finish and that has been the history for YEARS around here. How many people should have been DQ'd for passing prior to the S/F stand on a restart.

I do know Tom got an ass chewing for screwing up the flags from control but the rule as shown in this thread seems to have a hole in it. If we drop single or double yellow flags and a pace car pulls off track and we see ANY flag other than yellow at s/f, that in other organizations is a restart which then MUST define passing rules prior to S/F. Other organizations might have also done a green restart and then checker the next lap.

Case in point. Nationals 2009 at Miller. We had yellows for Dean's wreck in the final corners and the course went double yellow. We had a checker at s/f and I was told that Rusty nearly passed me going to the checker because we had a LIVE race to the checker as there was no yellow displayed with the checker. That tells me that Rusty could have passed me between double yellows and a waving checker. Which situation is/was correct?

Regardless, it's obvious we are pretty unclear on what SHOULD have happened and what the rules are. either the rules need clarification, Tom needs briefed on what he should have done or we all need to go back and re-read the rules.....maybe all 3.

Anyway, it was fun to run in ya'lls group again one last time at TWS. Too bad it had to end under a yellow and weird circumstances.
    Ah, fugg it.

Race 4 video, yellow at 10:50, corner worker signals 1 at 14:35.
    https://youtu.be/Nnpvlj4n3Lk
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    20.12.1 Full Course Yellow / Pace Car Procedures
    During a Full Course Yellow, in the absence of a Pace Car anywhere on course (or after the Pace Car has
    pulled off the marked course), the lead car will pace (meaning steady speed) the field. Each competitor may
    resume passing at any time in the absence of a Pace Car being on course providing that they are completely
    past a manned flag station not displaying any yellow flag, or when the green flag has been displayed at the
    restart / starting stand / location. The presentation of a green flag is not a necessity to “resume” [Ref20.12)] a
    practice or qualifying session.

So as I read that, it states that the next stand not displaying a yellow flag is your restart line, but it also talks out of both sides out of its mouth by implying that, as soon as you see a green flag anywhere, you can resume passing prior to that stand. It doesn't explicitly say either way, but that's how it reads to me.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mach1 View Post
    Race 4 video, yellow at 10:50, corner worker signals 1 at 14:35.
    https://youtu.be/Nnpvlj4n3Lk

What's the little note pad for on your dash?

Also do you run racepack or AIM?
    “A man with no enemies is a man with no character.”
    ― Paul Newman

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    (per the rule Dustin posted) "Each competitor may resume passing at any time in the absence of a Pace Car being on course providing that they are completely
    past a manned flag station not displaying any yellow flag"

To me this is pretty clear. Even with the checker out, you are only "past" the station after the race is over.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

That part is perfectly clear, it's the "or when the green flag has been displayed at the restart / starting stand / location" directly after that seems to supercede the former part, emphasis on the word "or" is where I get hung up. Now in this particular case, there was no green flag (unless you want to count the checker as such), I'm talking in general here. This is a scenario I never really thought through before.

Quote Originally Posted by Suck fumes View Post

Just a note pad for reminders, racepak.
    I'd buy AiM if i had to do it again.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Quote Originally Posted by Suck fumes View Post

Duh, it's an O Reilly's notepad.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mach1 View Post
    Just a note pad for reminders...
    1) Win odd numbered races
    2) Accept praise graciously
    3) Give Camaro guys "help"
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!