Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Crime and Punishment - The Double Yellow

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennCMC70 View Post
    19.3.6 Double Yellow Flags
    Categories: Command; Global.
    Description: Two (2) solid motionless yellow flags, displayed at every manned flag station around the course.
    Uses: NO PASSING is permitted. This is used to indicate “a full course yellow.” This means that there might
    be a problem somewhere on the track. Drivers are NOT required to significantly slow their vehicles; however
    they should be prepared to encounter a “local Yellow Flag” situation and/or a Pace Car (or a very slow moving
    pack behind the Pace Car). The display of Double Yellow Flags does not guarantee the appearance of a Pace
    Car. It is a command that NO PASSING IS ALLOWED until the Pace Car has pulled off the course (if
    applicable) and the driver has passed the next manned flag station that is not displaying any Yellow Flag(s).
    Reference Pace Car [Ref: (19.4.1)], [Ref: (20.11)], and [Ref : (20.12.1)
    Pretty cut and dry except the fact that according to that rule, even with a green flag, you couldn't pass until you got to the green flag station, I'm pretty sure that is not the case.
    According to 19.3.3 we are driving under green flag conditions as soon as the checker waived so I wouldn't have been breaking any rules in that case.

Considering the confusing situation I would also hope that 21.1 would have come into play and I wouldn't have been DQ'd.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The better way to read 19.3.3 is your required to follow the last displayed flag. Green condition is in quotes. That is the default condition unless otherwise indicated locally/globaly on track. Read the rule and understand the intent.
    The more I debate this, the more I think the RD got the call right. Nothing here has cast any doubt on that call.
    Last edited by GlennCMC70; 05-11-2015 at 11:33 AM.

Blog Entries
    19.3.3 is also pointing out that a display of a checkered is a local condition (your race ends here) as opposed to a global condition. If the checkered was global, the race would end for all on track no matter where you are (not feasible).

So, the display of a checkered indicates the race ends here, but assumes the rest of the course is still "green". Since all flags have priority over a green, and display of something other than a green is the condition the track is under, the checkered only indicates one thing - the end of the race.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Alien's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mach1 View Post
    Pretty cut and dry except the fact that according to that rule, even with a green flag, you couldn't pass until you got to the green flag station, I'm pretty sure that is not the case.
    You are correct that that is not the case. That's what the "or" is for.

20.12.1 Each competitor may resume passing at any time in the absence of a Pace Car being on course providing that they are completely
    past a manned flag station not displaying any yellow flag, or when the green flag has been displayed at the
    restart / starting stand / location.

Something I don't really like about the way the restart is written in the rules, you really have no idea who's in charage of the restart. The way the rule is written, the leader approaches a flag stand as sees that it has droped the double yellow. Track is green, but no passing til that station. Got it. The leader basically gets to decide when he or she get's back on the throttle. However, the leader can't know if the corner station will just throw a green and could potentially get caught out. I realize there are a million what if situations and this is just one of them.

Like it seems for a quite a few of us, we didn't know the rules as well as we thought we did, I'm one of them. I'm in no way trying to pile on, but just want to use this as a learning experience for the future. While I agree with Glenn that, given the way the rules are written, the RD made the correct call, I do find it a shame that a crystal clear alternative of keeping the pace car out or keeping the double yellow out while throwing the checker isn't the norm.
    - Gary R.
    '86 Camaro Z28 "KNOCKER"

Blog Entries
    To add to the total confusion, I think the pace car picked up the wrong #8 too.

Quote Originally Posted by Alien View Post
    I'm in no way trying to pile on, but just want to use this as a learning experience for the future. While I agree with Glenn that, given the way the rules are written, the RD made the correct call, I do find it a shame that a crystal clear alternative of keeping the pace car out or keeping the double yellow out while throwing the checker isn't the norm.
    I agree, I am not trying to drag it out, just want to make sure it is completely clear, hopefully no one is getting heated.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    hopefully no one is getting heated.
    well you're wrong! you just want another cheater mustang advantage!
    sorry, couldn't resist.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Its good discussion Tyler, even if you do piss Francis off. Maybe you get bonus points for that!
    Al Fernandez

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fernandez View Post
    Maybe you get bonus points for that!
    Good deal, looks like I could use them! It looks like the DQ will drop me from the topish of the season points list down to 8th or so. Hopefully the drops work out!

I'm assuming my punishment was only a DQ for R4 at TWS and will not carry to the next race?
    Last edited by mach1; 05-11-2015 at 05:15 PM.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Blog Entries
    Good deal, looks like I could use them! It looks like the DQ will drop me from the topish of the season points list down to 8th or so. Hopefully the drops work out!

I'm assuming my punishment was only a DQ for R4 at TWS and will not carry to the next race?
    Correct. Only 1 driver was penalized to where the penalty carried over to the next event. Multiple passes under full course yellow.